Allpar Forums banner

Oklahoma Wolf, Help !

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ImperialCrown 
#1 ·
Your tech articles on the radios and such have been outstanding. Have you had a digital dash cluster that's used in the 87 through 89 LeBaron Premiums and some Daytons of the same vintage apart for evaluation ?

I have several malfunctioning clusters. One where the VFL display is totally dead, another where the T,V,O gauge readings (temp, voltage and oil pressure, all share the same single bar graph display)are very erratic and jump all over the place and yet another where parts of the VFL display illumination vary light and dark in horizontal bands across the main part of the display. Sort of like the display is driven from two voltage sources and the voltage is applied in alternate horizontal axis'across the width of the VFL tube.

In all 3 cases the problem is within the cluster as substitution with a completely functioning cluster works perfectly. I've had these apart and looked over the pcbs for cold solder joints, hairline cracks or overheated areas and didn't find any. I used a magnifying glass but maybe I should find one with more magnification.

Have you any experience with these ? The IC's are not well identified and I was thinking that I could take the three of these and make one good one if I could determine which chip held the mileage and then build out from there.

I've not been able to find a schematic, parts diagram or anything at all on these clusters. These appear to be Huntsville ( or at least USA ) produced.

Help!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
How would one go about checking or metering a voltage regulator ? Do they meter the same as a regular transisitor or diode would ?
I beleive there's a regulator with a faily large external aluminum finned heat sink on one of the two boards.
I saw no signs of overheating and no signs of swollen or leaky caps.

Should I be looking for shorted or open caps or just change out what I can ? There are quite a few components on the two large boards that comprise these clusters. Would you have any way to identify the p/n of the chip that contains the mileage ? I may be able to take a working cluster and swap the mileage IC's over to keep the proper mileage with the car.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. United Radio in Syracuse ?
I beleive they do repairs for consumer electronics products. The company I work for sends a/v gear to then for repairs both in and out of warranty. I'll contact them to see if they'll repair the Chrysler instrument clusters of this vintage.
Thanks for the tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.