Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is a cheap skate question. but I have a little money hanging on this. SO, can a guy pull his pistons, re gap his rings,hone the block and re install the old rings on the old pistons? be easy with this guys! I got money hanging on this. I have never done it but I have heard of guys doing it and it working good. I have never heard of a motor being lost by doing it ether. so I haven't heard any thing bad about it but it gives me the willies thinking about doing it!!

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
You probably wouldn't lose an engine, but it may consume oil.
On a fairly new car with high oil consumption problems, sometimes by breaking the cylinder wall glaze with a hone was all that was needed to get normal oil consumption back. The rings could then break-in properly with a 'rough' crosshatch to wear-in against.
The ring gaps should alternate 180 degrees with the adjacent ring to further help cylinder sealing.
I won't say that it's the right or wrong thing to do. If the rings are old and the engine is apart, you are better off replacing rings at that time. You don't want to have to pull it apart again later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably wouldn't lose an engine, but it may consume oil.
On a fairly new car with high oil consumption problems, sometimes by breaking the cylinder wall glaze with a hone was all that was needed to get normal oil consumption back. The rings could then break-in properly with a 'rough' crosshatch to wear-in against.
The ring gaps should alternate 180 degrees with the adjacent ring to further help cylinder sealing.
I won't say that it's the right or wrong thing to do. If the rings are old and the engine is apart, you are better off replacing rings at that time. You don't want to have to pull it apart again later.
well this is a bet that old couldn't be used. but i am seeing that people do!!!LOL

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It's not something I would consider doing unless stranded out in the middle of nowhere and I had to McGuyver something together. seriously.

The comment of regapping the rings intrigues me. If the cylinder walls were to wear (pretty difficult with the new hardened cylinders, but why would you still regap rings if they are in the process of expanding to begin with, rings don't shrink gaps over time, they increase gaps over time, think about it).

Now, in thinking about some point where this may be something that could be done, it would be racing short tracks, being high rpm and high compression, dry sump and vacuum pump to suck blowby and pull the oil out of it so it wouldn't be an issue, and idling at 2000-2500rpm is another thing a street engine doesn't do.

At the same time, it isn't something I would expect to last on the street, unless you like oiling your exhaust system and destroying your catcon (if you have one).

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If I pulled apart an engine for a reason not related to the seal that the rings offer then I'd consider reusing them, like if I upgraded to H-beam rods but kept stock pistons for god-knows-why, or possibly if balancing a perfectly good engine in order to make it a perfectly great engine. Even still though, as cheap is rings are, if there's any question at all then it's just smarter to replace 'em.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Myself I sure as heck would check spring resiliance of the rings, and ring groove distortion and wear, before I started to pound the pistons back into the cylinders. Few things are as frustrating to me as doing all that work and fumigating the road behind as I drive.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
I'd reuse rings just as I'd reuse spark plugs. Once they're out new ones are going in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts