Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dose anyone know if you can still get the style of u-joint that uses INNER clips but the one that has a small bump out on the inner clip that then has a safety strap that goes between the clips, hope that makes sense the purpose of this strap is to keep the caps from coming dislodged from the yoke, ( I think )I had an old drive shaft that had these installed but could no longer find a supplier that has them all the new ones just use a "c" clip, the reason I ask is we just had a cap come out of our rear u-joint on my sons truck last night for no apparent reason, it was only a month old, the correct one with out the safety strap is 315g Moog brand, thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
I believe that these 'safety straps' were only meant to hold the OEM u-j bearing caps in place while the driveshaft was being put together and installed on the new vehicle assembly line. Once assembled and secured into the driveshaft yoke, they shouldn't go anywhere.
Usually grease will hold the caps in place on a replacement u-j until it can be installed.
Something must have loosened up or was not clamped correctly for a u-j bearing cap with a c-clip on it to be thrown a month later.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that's what I thought the one cap and clip that came out were found on the road about a foot part yet not one needle bearing to be found, as if they were spit out first then the clip gave way followed right after by the cap yet none of the cross or other caps seemed to be affected but if you feel the strap is only for assembly then I will stick the the u-joint we used and call it a bad night, actually it wasn't that bad, a friend had a brand new Ford u-joint in his garage near by it was the style that uses the end cap clip, we slid it into the yoke and wrapped the yoke/u-joint with electrical tape one zap strap and some duct tape and limped it back to my shop at about 10:30pm then fixed it the next day when the parts shop opened, we drove pretty hard today after the repair and everything seems fine so time will tell, thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts