Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question, but with some common parts between the D-series trucks and the B-series vans, were the B-series chassis-cabs sitting on conventional D-series truck frames, where the subframe for the van would have otherwise gone?

I ask in part because I'm curious as to how people have made 4wd B-series vans and how the front suspension in dually setups worked. I would think that for the former, they either put a truck frame front section under the van (assuming that it fits) or else put the front suspension stuff from the W-trucks on to the B-series front subframe in the manner that one can theoretically convert a D-series truck to 4wd... As for the dually, I would expect them to share steering knuckles and spindles with the dually trucks...

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
That's a good one Tannon. I had a 77 GMC shorty 4X4 van and it had a full frame under it, but don't know how it compared to the similar truck frame, I remember it being pretty straight 3/4 ton frame with leaf springs in the front end. Heck, it was practically 2 open channel 3X8s simply running front to back, and I know the other vans were frameless, so it just kind of set the van box on top of it. Are you thinking of doing a 4X4 van or something like that?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
TWX said:
Dumb question, but with some common parts between the D-series trucks and the B-series vans, were the B-series chassis-cabs sitting on conventional D-series truck frames, where the subframe for the van would have otherwise gone?

I ask in part because I'm curious as to how people have made 4wd B-series vans and how the front suspension in dually setups worked. I would think that for the former, they either put a truck frame front section under the van (assuming that it fits) or else put the front suspension stuff from the W-trucks on to the B-series front subframe in the manner that one can theoretically convert a D-series truck to 4wd... As for the dually, I would expect them to share steering knuckles and spindles with the dually trucks...
Sorry I missed this earlier.
When I was building my 4WD B series, that posed several problems.
1, there is no frame under a B Van, but there is a front sub frame. To install a W Frame underneath the B was next to impossible and would likely destroy the integrity of the Van.
Solution was simple, fishplate the van sheet metal "frame" channels, the rear axle was a direct bolt in.
The front requires a cross member at the front, in order to attach the leaf spring shackles. The steering was trickier, the van uses a crossover steering, the W used the old tried and true front to rear Dodge steering arm, clearly a solution had to be found there. The steering arm was modified by a certified welder, the W front Dana axle was modified to accept a crossover steering arm and a custom steering Pitman arm was made.
Some of my best work, if Imdo say so myself. Later when Im home, I'll try to find a photo of the crossmember.I don't have many surviving photos.
As for front suspensions in Dually's, they aren't much different from SRW trucks, they just have the spindles and knuckles that accept the deep dish dually wheels, so that tire rotation remains simple.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem.

I'm just interested in a lot of stuff. I've never seen good technical data on the frames used on the chassis-cab van front sections, and it makes me wonder if the frames were the same as the D-series heavier trucks or not, given all of the stuff that does interchange with the conventional unibody vans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts