Allpar Forums banner

Omnirizons, stand and be counted!

8K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  patrick_austin 
#1 ·
How many people on here actually have an Omni or Horizon?

Where's the car located? Does it run? What mods? Any other info?

I'll go first....

1981 Dodge Omni...
South Mississippi....
does not run, been in back 40 for 20+ years...
no mods, but car is complete.

Next!

#2 ·
Donnie 3.0 said:
How many people on here actually have an Omni or Horizon?

Where's the car located? Does it run? What mods? Any other info?

I'll go first....

1981 Dodge Omni...
South Mississippi....
does not run, been in back 40 for 20+ years...
no mods, but car is complete.

Next!
That 81 is an oldie! We have a guy here at work with an 87 who is sending a poorly running 87 to the crushers in a few days! I hate to see it go but I can't take it. It has under 50K on the engine. The salvage yard offered him $400 if he drives it in. The last mechanic that wotked on it told him to never bring that car back to him lol.

#5 ·
I have an '86 Omni GLHS in very good shape and driving still. Only 43k original miles. Bought from the original owner in 2006.
Also have an '85 Omni GLH turbo with 67k original miles. Paint is rough but the rest is in great shape. Runs and drives but not on the road at this time due to minor issues. Had since dec '11.
Have an '86 Omni GLH turbo basically as a parts car but it does run and could be put on the road at some point.
Have a carbed '87 Omni doing nothing in my backyard. I got it running though. It's a 5 speed one with ac. (Doesn't work)
Last September I picked up a '90 Dodge Omni for virtually nothing from it's original owner.
102K and is a daily driver.
So yeah I'm doing my part to keep as many of these alive as I can.

#6 ·
Man, Alan... sure wished I still lived in Virginia Beach. I'd be happy to take one of those Omnis off your hands! :thumbsup:
You represent well.

#7 ·
Abkshelby said:
I have an '86 Omni GLHS in very good shape and driving still. Only 43k original miles. Bought from the original owner in 2006.
Also have an '85 Omni GLH turbo with 67k original miles. Paint is rough but the rest is in great shape. Runs and drives but not on the road at this time due to minor issues. Had since dec '11.
Have an '86 Omni GLH turbo basically as a parts car but it does run and could be put on the road at some point.
Have a carbed '87 Omni doing nothing in my backyard. I got it running though. It's a 5 speed one with ac. (Doesn't work)
Last September I picked up a '90 Dodge Omni for virtually nothing from it's original owner.
102K and is a daily driver.
So yeah I'm doing my part to keep as many of these alive as I can.
Have any pictures of the 90? I'd really love to have one of these, just because of the interior redesign.

I only have a Sante Fe blue 85 GLH-T with 100k clean as all get out.

I have had several other Omni/Horizons.

-87 Horizon (first car)
-86 Omni (college driver)
-88 Omni (first car when I joined the Air force)
-89 Omni (turbo project that never arose)
-84 Horizon (found it with only 32k from some old lady. My father still has it)
-85 Horizon (beater when I was in Alaska)

#8 ·
I have a black 1986, the one in my avatar, that I bought brand new, Feb.22,1986. I did the full Super 60 deal in 1997 and still love this car. I also have a stock 1986 GLHS that was a one owner before me. I have a 1985 with the 1.6 Peogeot engine that although very underpowered has a certain charm.. I have a 1988 TBI automatic and another 1986 that I am duplicating my original one only with an automatic.

Thanks
Randy

#10 ·
I just rescued and 88 Plymouth Horizon from certain doom. She has 87k and could really use some fresh paint. What a fun car though with really comfortable seats! I get more compliments and looks in this car than my GT500. People love seeing these time capsules until they realize that this old freebie car is peppier and gets just as good of gas mileage as the car they are making payments on (;

#11 ·
have had over a dozen Omni/Horizons in my time, almost un-killable, lord knows I tried, and that count included a Rampage, my all time fave. My 1st was an '81, bought in '87, my oldest was a '78, that died an early death due to an un-available wheel-bearing assembly (this was a German/American hybrid model, few made, with a VW engine & drive-train), and my newest was an '86. I drove an '80 to over 300K, I took out a MOOSE with an '81 Omni Charger and I survived. They were damm good cars, and I wish I could find one in good shape today.

#12 ·
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rjt12/omni

271K on the unibody, about 11k on the engine.

The car has been in my family since it was new in 1988. When I came home from the Army in 1989, this is the car that picked me up. I have also used it to transport an ancestor's ashes to their final resting place. It's been good to me.

I have the A/C out of it, the steering rack is not as quiet as I would like and it could use some rust-reversal treatment.

#13 ·
Just got back an 89 Horizon today that I owned 4 years ago!

1989 Horizon, Auto, 216k miles. Has a couple broken door handles, but still okay, New Struts all around, new brakes on it, and exhaust is 1yr old from Midas. The paint is bad, faded Maroon. But drove it all over town today too!

#14 ·
Hey, my old Omni out back, that hasn't run in 20+ years has all 4 door handles broken. If I need to get into it, I have to climb in thru the back hatch!
:excited:

#15 ·
Hey Donnie! My wife and I have two '90s on the road.

I've added a bunch of early model trim to the one -- shorter bumper ends.... chrome/gray windshield wiper arms..... chrome wheel lip moldings.... chrome pieces around the side door windows.... chrome rocker panel moldings.... chrome windshield trim.... white "Omni" mud flaps..... those little black vertical pieces of bumper trim...

But there are a few more pieces I'm looking for that were on the cars from '78 - '81. I wonder if yours might have some and, if so, if you'd be willing to sell them to me.

I'm looking for the strip of chrome on the front edge of the hood..... the little pieces above the headlights/turn signals...... the chrome B pillar covers..... the chrome strips at the bottom of the side door windows...... and a chrome/gray rear windshield wiper arm.

Please let me know. Thanks!

#16 ·
Wow. That's a lot of chrome!
And I don't think my old Omni has any of it.
I'm not at home right now and won't be for a month, but I will check when I get back.
I know it doesn't have the rear wiper, so that's out for sure.

You're more than welcome to anything the Omni has (free of charge), but I have been thinking of getting rid of it fairly soon.
I'll get back with you in a month.

#17 ·
Thanks, Donnie -- I really appreciate it!

Even if your car doesn't have any of the chrome, there's a chance I might be interested in some interior pieces.

It's definitely strange that Chrysler's practical, little econo-box debuted with so many different trim options. In addition to all that optional chrome, there were different interior options, two-tone paint jobs, fake wood grain, the giant sporty decal that said "Omni" across both sides on some special '78 and '79 models (one just sold in Arizona), and even a super rare landau top! I remember reading one of the early reviews in Car and Driver or Motor Trend that praised the car but panned the "excessive" chrome and faux wood grian. Between '83 and '86, just about all those extras were dropped.

#20 ·
Got an 88 Horizon automatic last July for $500. It ran like crap (had to use both feet, did I mention was an auto tranny? lol) then it got hit while stalled at a red light. I got more than $1200 because the insurance company totaled it, then I bought it back for $150. I replaced the front brakes, the TBI, coil, plugs, wires, filters, etc. and no good. It was the only car I could afford, so I just put up with it! Then I bumped into a dude named Paul at work, and he was nuts about these things so he helped me set it straight: he said I needed a new head gasket, but it was far worse than that, so he had this '89 sitting in his yard with some front end damage (he was scrapping it for a friend) but a good engine, and he GAVE me the engine and wiring harness and we installed it in his back yard! Then we replaced the rear brakes, front left wheel bearing, radiator, and water pump while we were at it, and later, while I was out of town, he replaced the suspension for me (you have my eternal thanks, dude! Damn you for moving!) He also hooked me up with door handles and a bunch of trim (damn those handles) and I *tried* to help him weld a plate into a hole in the floorboard. I finally had a state-inspection passing car! I then dumped a huge 5-channel amp, sub, and component sets with line driving preamp into the poor thing. I love it, and work on it mostly on my own now and joined this forum because my resident expert/friend had to pull up stakes for his family. I have no idea how many miles are on it, reads 83k for the body (5-digit odometer rolled over at LEAST once) but no idea how many on the engine (which was super clean).

#21 ·
I have a 1988 horizon with the manual transaxle package (so 5 speed). Shes got 82k on everything with everything original. I Fixed some rust on the doors, made a wooden bumper with a friend (it was missing), replaed the trunk struts and replaced the factory stereo with an added subwoofer and amplifier. She runs pretty well besides an erratic and high idle (vacuum leaks). On the road with antique plates. Interior is brand ew looking, outside is very good, just undercoated.

#22 ·
My 1982 Rampage is located in south central PA, York county.
Fairly solid car that has just been neglected prior to my finding it in a barn. Working on bringing it back to driving condition. Then I have some other projects but eventually I'd like to treat the car properly.

#23 ·
I've been looking for a carbed Horizon or Omni. Running or not. Actually need the engine and everything under the hood. Cannot seen to find anything in my part of the country (NV, AZ). Would have thought there were many around here.

I have resigned myself to the fact I may have to travel quite a distance to get one. If nearby and have something, let me know with a PM.

Thanks very much!

Slim slow slider

#24 ·
I have an 87 Dodge Omni here in NW Ohio. Inherited it from my aunt who us in a nursing home. It just recently turned 100k. Only a few minor issues that were common with the omni/horizons. Also found a handfull of cars at the bone yard that will be excellent parts cars. The guys at my work laugh but I'm the one having the last laugh with my gas saver :D.

#25 ·
I currently own a GLH Turbo in Sante Fe Blue. It doesn't run yet, but I was told that it was a running and driving car when parked. I just haven't had time to dedicate myself.
I also have about 4 Turbo Engines as back up, and 3 donor cars. One of which, another GLH Turbo (Black), that might be a project. Also in the process of buying 3 Shelby Chargers, a 2.2 Dodge 600 convertible, and a very beautiful Lebaron (4 door hatch 2.2 Turbo). It has an interior that looks new, supposedly it just has a bad knock.
I absolute love these vehicles, but parts are hard to find. Though, on the plus side that means that I can get more for dirt prices hehehe. I never paid more than $500 for any of them. One of the Turbo 2.2s I picked up at a garage sale for $50 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.