Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
That car looks to be in amazing condition. How about a pic of your Duster? I had a 74 once, but it was a slant six with the three speed manual in the floor. Great car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes, it is in what I would call "fair" original condition. The camera does not show the wear of 40+ years and 80k miles on the interior and paint, Mechanically, I have done alot of work to keep it in top shape and it still runs great. Someday I would like to do a proper restoration and have it repainted and the interior redone. Here is a pic of the Duster:

It is also a little rough around the edges paint and interior-wise, but mechanically strong with a custom built rear suspension, drivetrain, frame connectors, etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I like it: a 'subtle' restification, shall we say. :)

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I like the wheels on yours. Mine had the basic black steelies with full cover hub caps. Did those wheels come on yours or did you get them off a cop car?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are cop wheels the PO had put on before selling it to me 6 years ago. It also had a 4-speed when I got it. I initially cleaned up the body and did much tweaking and fixing, intending to daily drive the car util I learned it was only getting around 16mpg. The 650 double pumper appeared to be the culprit, so despite running extremely well, it was obviously going to be more suited to the track. Maybe someday... (sigh).

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
acewiza said:
They are cop wheels the PO had put on before selling it to me 6 years ago. It also had a 4-speed when I got it. I initially cleaned up the body and did much tweaking and fixing, intending to daily drive the car util I learned it was only getting around 16mpg. The 650 double pumper appeared to be the culprit, so despite running extremely well, it was obviously going to be more suited to the track. Maybe someday... (sigh).
16 MPG ain't all that bad for a hot rod. What may want to consider is go with a carb that's known for delivering better MPG and throw the Holley DP when going racing. Too; I bet your car has high 3 series rear end gears which will kill the freeway MPG.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bearhawke said:
16 MPG ain't all that bad for a hot rod.
Yes, you're right about that. The New Yorker does around 10, on average. Before I realized what was going on with 3.73 gears and the Holley, I was probably imagining or hoping to get something at least a little closer to the '71 slant 6 Duster I had back in the day when I was in college. I seem to remember that one doing mid-20s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts