Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's pretty likely that I'm going to have to buy a second vehicle soon. I've been considering a used Magnum. They're surprisingly affordable on the used market and for some reason are cheaper than Chargers of the same years/options/mileage. What's the general consensus of these things at this point? How have they aged? I'd be looking at probably a 2005 or 2006 with under 100,000 miles to stay within my price range. Just want to get a sense of whether these are a good used buy or whether to look at something else.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Powdered Toast Man said:
It's pretty likely that I'm going to have to buy a second vehicle soon. I've been considering a used Magnum. They're surprisingly affordable on the used market and for some reason are cheaper than Chargers of the same years/options/mileage. What's the general consensus of these things at this point? How have they aged? I'd be looking at probably a 2005 or 2006 with under 100,000 miles to stay within my price range. Just want to get a sense of whether these are a good used buy or whether to look at something else.
It should be easy to find one under 100k miles on it. Shouldn't be horribly difficult to find one with less than 75k even. The Magnums aren't as desirable, well, because they are a wagon. And wagons are no longer "cool", they are even more so a "no-no", unless they resemble somewhat of an SUV, or at least look more like they are designed as a hatchback (Subarus) than a wagon style.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
They are nice enough cars, but do you need a large wagon? Will it be a general purpose vehicle? Around town or long trips?
The V6 and V8 are thirsty (look for ~17-20 mpg or 12-14 L/100km) and replacement 17-18" tires are expensive.
The highly optioned ones are nice for luxury and gadgets, but more can go wrong electrically.
The low roof line doesn't give them the ease of loading and unloading and usable space like a minivan or Journey would.
Traction on snow and ice is fair compared to a FWD minivan or Journey. Wide tires and RWD don't help.
Otherwise, mechanically they are fairly durable and easy-to-maintain cars.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
The only real issue seems to be cheap front end/suspension pieces. I had to put tie rods on my 2005 300C and there was a bushing clunk I never did track down. Those seemed like common issues from what I read on the LX boards.
I would have probably had a 2008 Magnum R/T but I never found one that was in decent shape (lots of V6 ones though) in my price range so I bought the Wrangler instead.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The suspension and steering linkages are very 'Mercedes-Benz' like, as are some other attributes of the LX cars. This can be good or bad. Some German engineering is outstanding but expensive and could be done better in another way IMHO.
Earlier models ('05-'08) may have had some minor quality issues. 2008 was the last year for Magnum. Even though they were different model wagons, in many ways the Magnum took away from already dismal Pacifica sales.
There was a compression link in the front suspension that could 'clunk' without showing any obvious signs of play while bolted in (that is until it could be removed for closer inspection). See #4 here: 8132867c.gif

·
10,397 Posts
Yes, wagons in general are less desirable in the US: they account for about 10% of their sedan variant sales. So if you desire one, you should take advantage of their lower resale price.

I've owned a number of LX models but never kept them past 50,000 miles: the only issue I once had was a clunky noise coming from the front suspension of my 2006 Magnun --as described above-- that started after 30,000 miles ; and minor trim issues around the center console. Otherwise, they worked like clockwork.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Aldo said:
Yes, wagons in general are less desirable in the US: they account for about 10% of their sedan variant sales. So if you desire one, you should take advantage of their lower resale price.

I've owned a number of LX models but never kept them past 50,000 miles: the only issue I once had was a clunky noise coming from the front suspension of my 2006 Magnun --as described above-- that started after 30,000 miles ; and minor trim issues around the center console. Otherwise, they worked like clockwork.

Good luck!
Tie rods go out in LX vehicles fairly early it seems.

·
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know about the front suspension wear. Suspension issues seem to be a common theme over the DCX era vehicles. I had bushings go on my 06 Caravan that didn't even have 33,000 KM on it yet. My mother's 06 Sebring also had suspension components that needed work.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I purchased my 05 RT in 2009 with 57,000 Kms. ( approx. 33,000 miles) Just after the warranty ran out, I had to replace the inner tie rods and the power steering box that was leaking.

Until this spring, 2013, I had no further repairs other than maintenance issues. After a crash in January which resulted in a new grill, radiator and a/c unit, I took the car to my local shop and had them go through it front to back, as it was feeling a little tired after the brand new 200 rental car. They replaced outer tie rods, all suspension bushings, full engine maintenance, transmission service, power steering service, wheel alignment, brakes, etc... This cost me about $2300.00 dollars, and the car runs like new, after 9 years on the road!

So, I'd have to say that I think the car is a great buy, but check out the front end, or buy a warranty, but otherwise, it's been a very reliable vehicle. If you can find a good 08 RT, that would be a valuable and rare car to own. I have no real plans to sell my 05 anytime soon, but I am looking for more of a daily driver to preserve the Magnum a little.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
I had a 2008 R/T and it was a great car.

My aunt still drives her bought-new '05 SXT with the 3.5. Other than a sunroof issue and the rear hatch struts failing, she really hasn't had any issues. But she has less than 40,000 miles on her Magnum.

I would avoid the 2.7 models at all cost. That engine was a real dog, not just for the lack of power but also reliability, and never should have been used in cars that large and heavy.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
FreeLantz said:
I would avoid the 2.7 models at all cost. That engine was a real dog, not just for the lack of power but also reliability, and never should have been used in cars that large and heavy.
Even in the LH cars, they were not enough motor. By the time they got into the LXs, they were acceptable in terms of relibability, but far underpowered. Even the 3.5L feels a bit underpowered in certain conditions, but it's just about bulletproof, so there are tradeoffs.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Still love my SRT8. No major issues. But I also only have 28k miles on it. Hatch and hood struts needed to be replaced. So no real issues so far...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
hmk123 said:
Still love my SRT8. No major issues. But I also only have 28k miles on it. Hatch and hood struts needed to be replaced. So no real issues so far...
I've had to do the hood, but not the hatch. It was getting a little loose last winter though, so I'll replace them in the fall. Just a maintenance issue.

·
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just read the Lemon Aid used car guide on the entire LX lineup from 2005-2010. Good lord, I don't think I've seen a nastier assessment of Chrysler vehicles!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Powdered Toast Man said:
I just read the Lemon Aid used car guide on the entire LX lineup from 2005-2010. Good lord, I don't think I've seen a nastier assessment of Chrysler vehicles!
Hmmm, it says right on the guy who does the Lemon Aides website's front page "a former elected member of Consumers Union (Publisher of Consumer Reports) Board of Directors, and a colleague of Ralph Nader."

:innocent:

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I like the Magnum. I've rented them and enjoyed them, and I certainly wouldn't mind an '08 V8 car. I am disappointed that they discontinued them before the Pentastars arrived.

It's also the only LX car that has any decent towing capacity, 4000lb when properly equipped if memory serves.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
TWX said:
I like the Magnum. I've rented them and enjoyed them, and I certainly wouldn't mind an '08 V8 car. I am disappointed that they discontinued them before the Pentastars arrived.

It's also the only LX car that has any decent towing capacity, 4000lb when properly equipped if memory serves.
I wish the LX had a decent towing capacity and that Magnum had continued. If there had been a Magnum with the current Charger styling cues, I'd have purchased that in a heartbeat instead.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Christopher said:
I wish the LX had a decent towing capacity and that Magnum had continued. If there had been a Magnum with the current Charger styling cues, I'd have purchased that in a heartbeat instead.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Christopher said:
I think 4000 lbs. with a car is pretty decent! Can't you get that with the current generation of Charger's and 300's?

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
I gave up on the Lemon-Aide guy (Phil Edmunston?) a while back. I don't recall my exact criticisms but they're floating around somewhere. I don't mind his association with Ralph Nader, even John DeLorean admitted he was totally right about Corvair, and seat belts being very poorly designed in those days, and such -- you know, I don't buy "guilt by association" as an argument at all, anyway. The thing is, he really does pick on Chrysler stuff and often with very little rationale. As I vaguely and maybe wrongly recall, he was also one of those who went after the minivan latches.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts