Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has recently rebuilt a throttle body...does the throttle body rebuild kit come with all the orings needed, such as for the TPS, AIS, etc? TIA.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Normally, yes. However, don't be surprised if the kit has the wrong size O-rings for the fuel injector. I've done 3 rebuilds and not one kit had any rings that fit the injector, just a lot of extra rings that fit nothing.

Be sure to use the thick base gasket, which is over 1/4" thick, not the paper-thin one that some kits come with. It can be found separately, although some stores don't carry it.

Tips: http://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/throttle-body-rebuild/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Speaking of the injector...should the lower oring fit snugly around the bottom of the injector (in other words, not fall off once inverted)? And should that lower oring be put on the injector or placed in the bottom of the injector housing? I've got two repair manuals and they both say something different. Either way, the injector doesn't seem to be sitting down inside the housing far enough, causing the cap to sit too high. Do these things have to be pressed in with some force?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
The O-rings should be lubricated with a small amount of engine oil so that they don't tear when the injector is inserted. They both get placed on the injector, and then the injector is pressed in. Yes, it does take moderate force, but not full strength with both hands. It's a very snug fit. And there is an orientation to the electrical plug, so make sure the injector is rotated as described in the article before pressing it in. You can't turn it once inserted, so line it up right first.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I tore one of mine and found that there's a "stock" O-ring that will fit. Check your local hardware store. It's a near-perfect fit, and, importantly, the injector does not leak.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you remember the size and thickness of the o-ring you used B10alia? If you found one that doesn't leak, would make it a lot easier to know the size beforehand rather than trying to guess at it

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It was a small, fat one, I want to say a #23. But I did that job several months ago, so my memory of exactly what size it is isn't that great-- could have just as easily been a #32.
My injector has a lip on it to hold the O-ring on, IIRC. The injector O-rings are the only ones that are semi-critical, since the AIS/TPS ones are more for dust and vacuum sealing. The rubber that the generic O-rings sold at hardware stores are made of are pretty elastic, and will stretch easily, so you can get a slightly undersized O-ring, preferably a thinner one, for those if you can't get an exact fit.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had to do this on my Ford truck. I used the o-rings I had with my air conditioning spare parts. You can get an assorted pack any any store. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts