Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle is a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country van owned by a co-worker. She indicates that the outside, ambient temperature display in the overhead console is stuck on -40 deg F. It never changes and is not functioning. She said the temperature display worked correctly until the battery was replaced. Now it will not change temperature.

She said that she looked through the owner’s manual but could not find a procedure for resetting / recalibrating the display to get it to work properly. At first I thought it might be a failed sensor but since it happened when power interruption occurred (battery replacement) maybe there is a reset procedure? I have browsed the internet looking for a solution but all I seem to find is the process to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Maybe this is a coincidence and the outside temperature sensor has failed??? Thoughts???

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
If it happened during a jump start while the battery was failing or during a battery replacement, a voltage spike may have occurred and froze the logic of the thermometer. I would first try another battery disconnect, pause and reconnect to attempt a reset. Reset the clock.
-40°F is the default temperature when the 2-wire plastic ambient temp sensor (mounted under the front bumper and easily hit) is in open circuit.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Agree that whenever a reading is stuck at one end of the scale, either it needs a power reset or is damaged.

·
Curious Shadetree Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
The wires for the ambient temp sensor are routed through a 4 wire plug mounted just infront of the battery mounted on the front crossbar. It is possible that the plug or wires were damaged during the battery replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts