Allpar Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks IC.

Interesting that it took 5-6 years to pop up. I've always used 5W-20 when I serviced the truck myself and all the invoices indicate the dealer or independent shop (Firestone) used 5W-20.

Another thing to have the dealer reprogram ***sigh*** - I still need to have the CCN reflashed to deal with the interior light timing and temperature display. Arrrgh! Maybe I can get them to do both for a moderate charge with the next oil change?

Wonder if that could be contributing to the occasional stalling? It's gone several days without stalling, but then again until today it's been warm for this time of year. Went from 60-70*F to high 30's this morning with a high of 45 today. Didn't stall this morning (I did let it idle for 5-10 min) but it did stall once leaving work today.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:

I had read on DodgeTalk.com where another Ram owner solved his stalling issue (similar to mine) by adding transmission fluid. I checked mine and it seemed low so I added 2 quarts - looked low on the dipstick - it's possible the dealership underfilled it when the transmission was last serviced. Since I added the fluid it has not stalled when the engine is cold - it usually happened as I'm coming the first full stop and it seemed to stall as it downshifted into 1st.

While at Advance I had them check the battery (it is 6 years old - old for a battery).

Results of test:
Good Battery
Voltage: 12.72
Measured CCA: 798 CCA
Rated CCA: 750 CCA
Temperature: 65*F

Not bad for a 6 year old OEM battery.

Still have yet to get in to resolve the false P1521 code and the interior light issue. Funds have been tight.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Doug D said:
Another thing to have the dealer reprogram ***sigh*** - I still need to have the CCN reflashed to deal with the interior light timing and temperature display. Arrrgh! Maybe I can get them to do both for a moderate charge with the next oil change?
Follow up - concerning the CCN reflash. Ever since I replaced the battery a few months ago, the interior lights have reverted to "normal" operation. Normal operation = interior lights will turn on when unlocking the truck via key fob and remain on for about 30 seconds before gently fading out. About 2 years ago, they started to act abnormally - would turn on when unlocking the truck, but then abruptly switch off after 15 seconds. I had a MoPar battery installed at the dealership - maybe they reflashed? I doubt it though - they would have wanted to charge me for it.

·
Super Moderator
21,618 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Follow up - concerning the CCN reflash. Ever since I replaced the battery a few months ago, the interior lights have reverted to "normal" operation. Normal operation = interior lights will turn on when unlocking the truck via key fob and remain on for about 30 seconds before gently fading out. About 2 years ago, they started to act abnormally - would turn on when unlocking the truck, but then abruptly switch off after 15 seconds. I had a MoPar battery installed at the dealership - maybe they reflashed? I doubt it though - they would have wanted to charge me for it.
So I've been chasing a stall problem that was somewhat intermittant that has become an almost daily occurence. Vehicle is a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT QC SB 5.7L Hemi MDS 545RFE 4x2 3.55 gears 137K miles.

Changed most of the plugs (12 of 16) last Sunday. Will do the remaing 4 (the toughest to access) this Saturday. See the Spark Plug thread in the Ram forum (Allpar Forums (at http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/139430-spark-plugs/ )).

Thought that might cure the stalling problem which usually only happens on cool/cold mornings. It'll stall or nearly stall at the first stop within a mile or so of the house. Refires with no problems. Could actually feel the engine stumble as I slow to a stop. Changing the plugs made no difference. Even though the CEL was not on, I stopped at Advance Auto last night to have them check for any fault codes that may be stored, but not triggering the CEL. I was inclined to think the EGR was going bad (replaced at 83K).

Imagine my surprise when the code reader found this:

P1521 - Incorrect engine oil.

As I had the last oil change done by the local Firestone shop, I checked the service invoice and it says they used 5W-20 which is the recommended weight for the Hemi with MDS. Hmmmmmm...... The more I thought about it, the stalling became more prevalent after the last oil change and has become progressively worse with the cooler weather (ambient temps around 40*F in the morning now).

Since an oil change was due (last done at 133K and the truck has 137K now). Put in Castrol 5W-20 (7 qts) and a Purolator filter. First time in a long time I did an oil change after dark (yes, I do have work lights). Maybe it was just me, but the engine sounded smoother after the change and guess what - it did not stall this morning!

So that brings to mind - what was wrong?

1) Did Firestone use the wrong weight oil (10W-30) even though the service invoice indicates 5W-20?
2) Oil pressure sensor going bad (the gauge has been normal as far as I can tell)?
3) Anti-drain valve in the filter failed?
4) Just a quirk?

I'm inclined to send a sample of the oil to a tester to verify it was the proper grade- if that indeed can be tested for(?). If not, I'm going to have a talk with the Firestone manager.

I know the proper grade is critical for the MDS (Multiple Displacement Service) to operate correctly so I generally do oil changes myself or at the dealer. I've never seen this code come up before nor did I have stalling issues like this (EGR issue aside) - it did not stall everyday when the EGR was bad (P0406) though it did eventually set the CEL.

Googling the web I found a P1521 could be two different issues depending on the vehicle:

1) Incorrect Engine oil or
2) Transmission Engaged at High Throttle Angle
Get more discussion results

Thoughts anyone?
Hi Doug D,
I'm new to Allpar. In fact, this is the first time ever to register with a blogging site. That's how desperate I'm getting.
I came across your P1521 discussion from 5 years ago because I'm trying to solve an identical issue with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 Hemi and MDS (106k miles).
The stalling started happening in the early summer of last year (I live in the southeastern part of Michigan). And similar to your issues, it occurs within the first 2 miles of driving and as I'm coming to a stop. No problem starting.
I took it to one Jeep dealership, and they upgraded my PCM programming cause they got other codes that they thought might be related to the stalling. Things "seemed" to work until October when it stalled again. I don't believe that programming was THE fix, but it was a timing coincidence because it was the warmer months. This time, I took the Jeep to another dealership who focused more on the torque converter. They ended up rebuilding my tranny after confirming the converter was bad (covered under warranty). Unfortunately, the jeep stalled shortly after I got it back from the dealership (January of 2017).
All these issue accompanied with the P1521 code (no CEL - must use a scanner to confirm its presence).
I decided to replace parts and sensors (all mopar). Here's a list of the new items installed: spark plugs, MAP sensor, Camshaft sensor, Oil Pressure Sensor and PCV Valve (to address the P1521 code). In addition, I had the TPS body cleaned and I've been getting the oil changed (5w20) at the dealer. The oil was changed back in February and had only 2500 miles when it stalled last week (first time since I changed the camshaft sensor and cleaned the throttle body). It was in the low 30s that morning and happened within 2 miles from home after about 5 minutes of idling.
Transmission fluid level good but the engine oil level was low to just below the "add" mark on the dipstick. I took it to the dealership for an earlier oil change last week (P1521 code was there again), and I'll be going to O'Reilly for reading codes once a week to see if the code comes back).
Any ideas or updates in your case with the P1521 code and/or stalling. I'm wondering if the two are related. Maybe is I can solve the P1521 it can fix the stalling.
Regards.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't think the P1521 code is related to the stalling issue. All I can tell you is once I brought the transmission level up to its proper level, the stalling stopped. It hasn't stalled since then and the truck now has over 240,000 miles. The P1521 code still shows when I checked for fault codes, but I don't worry about it since I know I've used the proper weight oil (5w-20). It is a false positive.

I would suggest having the dealer flash the PCM to eliminate the P1521 false code and then go from there. I don't think the P1521 and stalling are related though.

·
Super Moderator
21,618 Posts

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
The stalling started happening in the early summer of last year (I live in the southeastern part of Michigan). And similar to your issues, it occurs within the first 2 miles of driving and as I'm coming to a stop. No problem starting.
You could have dirty fuel injectors. Try running a cleaner through the gas tank the next time you fill up (add the cleaner before the gas) and see if that eliminates the stalling.

Have you checked the AIS?

Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) Motors and Sensors, and Idling (at http://www.allpar.com/fix/AISmotor.html )

21 - 28 of 28 Posts