Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting no power to the right fog light. It appears that this is controlled by the BCM, with power passing through the IPM under the hood. There doesn't appear to be a fuse for this, and the left and right fog lights are powered by different drivers. I have tried removing the IOD fuse and the BCM fuse (not at the same time) to see if resetting things would help. Of course, it didn't. The wiring looks intact, but it disappears into a bundle not far from the light.

Is this something a dealer or shop with the proper scan tool can fix, or should I just use the power from the left fog light to energize a relay and hook both lights through the relay?

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No opinions?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
No fuses or relays. The 'smart' solid state drivers in the IPM have a current sense circuit, so 2 lamps loading the single left f/lamp wire may not work. The protection circuit will shut off power if it senses a short or over-current above a certain limit. Or you may have an open wire to that side.
The IPM can store fault codes for issues that may help in diagnosis. Once the problem is resolved, the IPM will have to be reset with a key-cycle or battery disconnect before it will resume driver operation to that side.
It looks like Wt/Or is the Rt f/lamp wire color to trace from the IPM to the lamp.

0996b43f8022e0a5.gif

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew if anyone had an answer, it would be you, IC! I guess I'll start tracing that wire. Would the IPM need to be reset if it's just an open circuit?

My backup plan was to use the left fog light feed to power a relay then feed both lights from the relay. Would that work? A relay takes a lot less amperage to engergize than a fog light bulb does.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
No, an open circuit may set a fault code but wouldn't pose a damage risk like a short would, so I think that the driver would keep the power on to that circuit. The DRB III could read IPM codes.
Flipping the IPM upside down, you may find power on the Wt/Or wire right out of the connector if the wire is open. If no power, measure resistance to ground for a short (with the power and bulb disconnected).
I suppose that a relay feed on the left side could supply the right side successfully.
The Pacifica had a lot of European ideas. Separate left/right side lighting circuits was part of that. The USA doesn't have those laws.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts