Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The demand for a way to allow individual owners to have their CRUISERS transformed into panel vans brought about a "bunch" of them in one swell foop. Several fabricators offered complete kits to transform our stock PTs into panel cruisers in a very short time.

I've got pics of around twenty of them.

Most of you have probably noticed that I try to only post two, or at the most three pics in any daily thread/post at a time. That lets us enjoy many daily posts over a long period of time. It gives us something to look forward to. ;):)

Here are the two for today.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Jerry

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
735 Posts
They had a concept panel van that never made it to production right?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yepper,

It was introduced around 2000. The Chrysler Panel Cruiser Concept was raved about by everyone that was lucky enough to see it. Unfortunately, Chrysler never got around to putting it into production.
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side-view mirror Wheel Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Jerry

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post number two in Papio9's recent thread about the 2000 HOT ROD POWER TOUR had it in the middle of the pic.
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Jerry

·
Registered
2005 PT Cruiser Limited
58 Posts
Wow! Love that!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank,

I love what you've done with that PT PANEL! :cool:;)

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed yet, my moniker over here is 421 SD Poncho.

When you get time, we need to see what you did to some of the other CRUISERS you've owned. Maybe a separate thread for each one?

Jerry

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Frank,

I love what you've done with that PT PANEL! :cool:;)

When you get time, we need to see what you did to some of the other CRUISERS you've owned. Maybe a separate thread for each one?

Jerry
I 2nd the above :D

Frank has had some beautiful PT's, but it pains me to see him go through all his trials and tribulations on his projects, then he gets rid of them. ;)

But I guess Frank enjoys a challenge and each of his PT's is truly something unique. I can only imagine how his 'vert will turn out :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
My problem is, or was for a while...bigger and better.

To show you I am human....Before I bought this latest vert, I called the owners of my 2 previous Cruisers to see if they would sell them back to me.

2 backwards was "My Chocolate Covered Cruiser" Convertible, 2005 Dream Cruiser. I tried to buy her back!
The Tulsa couple said NO WAY! They tow her behind their Moto Home, and have been from coast to coast loving it.
(first photo)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Then just before the Panel Cruiser was my "Cowboy Cruiser". (OK State Cowboys branded)
The hispanic lady here in OKC said she loooooves her Cowboy Cuiser. NO WAY!

Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

So, I did try!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My problem is, or was for a while...bigger and better.

To show you I am human....Before I bought this latest vert, I called the owners of my 2 previous Cruisers to see if they would sell them back to me.

2 backwards was "My Chocolate Covered Cruiser" Convertible, 2005 Dream Cruiser. I tried to buy her back!
The Tulsa couple said NO WAY! They tow her behind their Moto Home, and have been from coast to coast loving it.
(first photo)

View attachment 84538

Then just before the Panel Cruiser was my "Cowboy Cruiser". (OK State Cowboys branded)
The hispanic lady here in OKC said she loooooves her Cowboy Cuiser. NO WAY!

View attachment 84539

So, I did try!
That just tells you that you sold them too cheaply :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frank,

Your LAVA DREAM CRUISER and Handy's convertible are my two favorite verts.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

When you get time, maybe you could do a separate thread on each of your CRUISERS?

Jerry

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Nope!
I was surprised on both that I got exactly what I was asking...no haggling at all!

I knew when the guy's wife saw the artwork and pinstriping on the vert, that she would fall in love with it!
:cool:
Yeah, but you could always ask for more at the beginning, and come down when a buyer balks, but if they jump on it too quickly, then it's too late to ask for more. ;)

But as long as you're happy with the transaction and your PT got a good home, then everyone can be happy :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes!
It took over 5 months to finally have them in hand.
Was a Customs mess, partially with Brexit and a British owned company shipping from Spain.

***BTW...I DID NOT BUY THE WHOLE ASSEMBLIES!
They would have been $1,000 EACH.
**I bought the outer bezels for $250 for both, and custom built my own high and low beams.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Vehicle
my own headlights.
I posted a whole series on it over on the PTLinks Forum.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My present Panel Cruiser started it's life in Kal-E-Fornica.
I believe it had 2 owners before me. One of them had Ray at Pteazer do the PTeazer front end and a custom paint job.
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

I did buy it with the plan to build a panel van.
What sold me on this PT was that it already had the PTeaser Smoothie Bumper and Roadster Grill.
So, not long after I started making plans, I was having a little air loss in the chrome tires from corrosion at the seals. So, part of my plan was to replace the "nice looking" chrome wheels.

I bought the $1,800 kit from Denny in NC off of eBay.
He and I exchanged a lot of messages and phone call before I closed the deal,
Denny ships the rear doors with the windows already welded in; and the pieces of steel ready to weld into the small side windows.
(Ask me for a pointer if you ever do this with Denny)

I started with one body shop that had done awesome work on my GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8.
**But, he had started doing a lot of insurance work and the PT sat for 12 weeks with only the doors mounted and one window welded in.
So, I found another shop owned by a MOPAR Club associate. They essentially dug me out of a hole.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood
Wheel Hood Tire Workwear Automotive design

The second shop specialized in vintage MOPAR restoration, body work, and (I found out) not so much for painting. :(
They finished up all the welding and body filling on the panel; and I decided on an Audi Gray paint color; and had a simple flag graphic placed on the side in paint.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Hood Product Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side-view mirror Plant Vehicle

Pretty cool, huh??
After a while I put the leaking chrome wheels up for sale om Marketplace, and had the sold in 2 days.
I had done some research, and found I could use The American Racing Wheel Torque Thrust wheels ....if I used a 1 inch spacer to clear the OEM cailpers. (Anthracite)

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

SO, THAT ENDED THE FIRST PHASE OF MY PT PANEL'S LIFE!

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
PHASE 1 Things I forgot!!!

Denny's Panel conversion kit also came with interior trim fillers for the 4 windows covered up by the panel conversion.
And, of course, I couldn't leave those alone either. 😁
Picture in the next post - as have hit the attached files limit.

PHASE 2 OF MY PT PANEL'S LIFE HERE in Okieland!

**Unfortunately, after about a year, I started to have some significant peeling of the Gray Audi Paint. Many of the placed would peel right off to the old black paint.
And I was not all that unhappy, as the previous shop had done me a good deed by accepting a partially finished project as an emergency project.
But I got another recommendation on a good body shop, from a local fellow Dodge Challenger owner.

I had seen a picture of a PT done in Europe, that had a paint scheme I thought was awesome.
Two-tone, and a Flat lower color. So, that was my model for a repainting - even thought I wanted to go with Blue on top so I could have a local airbrush artist do a full fading flag for me on each side.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

As we were planning the 2 tone scheme, I also picked up the Full Retro Grill from Pteaser. (I have kept the Roadster grill as my accident backup.)
So, my colors were the Jeep Deep Ocean Blue Metallic on top; and a dark gray metallic bottom - covered in a Flat Clearcoat.

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

The, on to my artist acquaintance. He manages a local Dent Repair Shop.
But, he does his airbrushing and artwork, on the side at home.
First he had to scuff up the blue area for the Waving flag.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Water

Then he did the Waving U.S. Flag.

Hood Flag Flag of the united states Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

He was a little at a loss as how to make the flag fade into the blue back ground.
So, I had brought the leftover can of the body shop blue, had him thin it a little, and HANDED ME THE AIRBRUSH.....showing him to simply start in the blue areas and work the airbrush lightly inward onto the flag at the edges, until I got the effect I wanted.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Water

After that, I took the PT back to the same body shop to reshoot the Clearcoat over top on the body panel that had the flag graphic.

As you can see from that picture, I also had the artist give me a metallic Silver beltline stripe; and a little curly wave to break up the boring side of the two-tone.
I had him double the swirls for the rear hatch too.

Vehicle Water Car Vehicle registration plate Sky

I was going to take it back to him, as he ended the beltline stripe at the engine compartment; rather than continue it down to separate the blue from the gray.
But, I decided how hard can it be, and bought some fine line tape and finished up the pinstripe up front myself....yes with a little clear over it.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Water
Hood Flag Flag of the united states Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Water
Vehicle Water Car Vehicle registration plate Sky

I have done a number of other little minor mods, like dropping the PT, but most aren't worth mentioning here.
I actually dropped her twice. The first time was too much of a drop (3 in front; 2 in back), and with the 1 inch wheel spacers pushing the tires out a little I was rubbing the front wheels on slight turns with bumps.
So, I sold that set and went back to a 1 1/2 inch drop front and rear.

I also use my DIY airbrush skills (from my model plane days) to put fading US flags on the center dash bezel and passenger side airbag cover.
YES! I'm a 29 year AF Vet, and proud of it!

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Sleeve Vision care
Hood Netbook Automotive lighting Grille Bumper

1 - 20 of 33 Posts