Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Crew Cab 4.7 automatic, has started having a problem of not wanting to come out of park. Was told to press on the brake a few times. It seems to be getting worse especially when it is cold. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
This is common if you park on a hill, and the truck rolls just a tiny bit after you put it in Park. The cure is to have a good emergency brake, set it first, then put it in Park so it can't move.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't park on hills as Napa is pretty flat. Will try to get in the habit of applying the parking brake first.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
Having the p/brake applied first and then putting it in Park takes the drivetrain torsional stress/strain off of the internal Park mechanism.
If it isn't really affected by being on an incline, then the problem may be in the steering column shifter mechanism which is independent of incline stress forces.
Demostrate it or have a technician witness it in order to start a correct diagnosis of the problem.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Here is a link to a description of the problem and a solution. Since it is more prevalent in cold weather, the release mechanism is probably sticking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Seems to be working for right now. Haven't had a chance to see about lubing it Hopefully this week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks AllanC - my 2003 sticks sometimes, but I still manage to get out of PARK. I thought I wasn't waiting long enough for the SOLENOID to be powered after starting the engine. Now I know there isn't one!!

I attack the steering column today. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts