Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the parking brake shoes on my 01 PT TE with read disc brakes and have a few questions:

1. Do you have to remove the rear hub/bearing assembly to replace the parking brake shoes?

2. What size is the nut holding the rear hub on?

3. I noticed that the axle nut is a lock nut with nylon insert. Do you need to use a new axle nut for the rear hub/bearing assemble or can you resuse it?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks......the "Crown" always comes through!

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As usual, the Crown is correct. You can replace the parking brake shoes without removing the wheel hub. It's tight, but if you are careful, it is possible. The only problem I ran into is that I could not put the rotor back on when done. The diameter of the new shoes was too big, even with the star wheel fully adjusted in. So, the old shoes went back on for now. I think there is a dimensional problem with the new shoes. It looks like they don't mount properly compared to the originals.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, that makes sense. I did check to see if the linkeage was working. I cleaned and greased it but did not disconnect the parking brake cable. It's holding for now, so I'll check it again once the weather cools down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.