Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we took our 2013 200 for state inspection and were informed of some issues. The tech took pics of a cracking front end mount. Pic will be added. This car is a 3.6, with 90K on the clock. We bought it new and it is adult driven and not abused. Just wondering if folks have run I into this or how important an issue it might be. Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Composite material
They also say the lower control arms are cracking but the pics are not definitive, as the one posted. Just wanted to check in with a trusted source. This car has been driven in SE Virginia for 9 years on paved streets. Very little salty winter roads. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the piece that is cracking is some kind of rubber/polyurethane bushing for the front end. Without any more context, I cannot tell what it is.

It could be a motor mount.

Also, I would not expect control arms to crack. I would certainly expect rubber bushings supporting the control arms - or things like ball joints - to crack. Most cars manufacturers these days have integrated ball joints + control arms, to replace one you must replace both.

It's not a new thing and not Mopar specific; BMW has been doing it since the 1980s, and Toyota has been doing it since the 1990s.

·
Super Moderator
33,508 Posts
That cracked rubber doesn't look serious/deep enough to cause any noticeable effect at all. I understand if the state inspection standards are strict and require action, but if it isn't cause for failure, I don't see any urgent need to take action yet.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,159 Posts
Also, I would not expect control arms to crack. I would certainly expect rubber bushings supporting the control arms - or things like ball joints - to crack. Most cars manufacturers these days have integrated ball joints + control arms, to replace one you must replace both.

It's not a new thing and not Mopar specific; BMW has been doing it since the 1980s, and Toyota has been doing it since the 1990s.
Yeah, my '06 Dodge Ram 1500 failed inspection a year or so ago due to worn ball joints. Shop attempted to replace them, but the ball joints were riveted into the lower control arms so well that they ended up replacing the LCA's that came with the ball joint already attached.

That said, even the control arms on my Ram were not cracked. They may have had some surface rust after 14-15 years, but no cracking that I recall.

The more I look at the pic posted it appears to be the LCA? The cracking isn't all that bad. I don't think it is enough to fail inspection though. Maybe the tech pointed out as a concern?

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
80 Posts
I am in the process of doing new suspension bushings (upper and lower control arms) in my 00 Dak. My wife's 07 Charger has signs that certain rubber suspension components are showing its age. Most pronounced is the lower shock mount rubber pieces.

Rubber is a wearing component. It will need attention at some point. If the rubber inserts in your control arms are worn it will lead to alignment issues / tire wear.

Just the opinions of a young shade tree also from the SEVA / Hampton roads. Hope the inspector didn't fail you.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
80 Posts
Yeah, my '06 Dodge Ram 1500 failed inspection a year or so ago due to worn ball joints. Shop attempted to replace them, but the ball joints were riveted into the lower control arms so well that they ended up replacing the LCA's that came with the ball joint already attached.
You have to slot, chisel, then punch out those rivets. Ball joints are a breeze after the first time taking the rivets out. They took the more expensive part, less labor intensive route. However atleast your control arm bushings are replaced at the same time.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,159 Posts
You have to slot, chisel, then punch out those rivets. Ball joints are a breeze after the first time taking the rivets out. They took the more expensive part, less labor intensive route. However atleast your control arm bushings are replaced at the same time.
The Firestone shop spent the better part of an hour trying to do just that and were getting nowhere. They had already quoted me a price to replace the ball joints. They ended up eating the cost on the LCA's. I know I got them for a lot less than what I should have been charged. As I recall, I paid $900. One of the upper control arms had to be replaced as well - easily obtainable. Total bill was $1500 since I had replaced the tires as well. It took some time to source the LCA's. Nobody had them in stock locally. Took the truck in on Saturday and it was Monday afternoon before it was finally ready. Lost a day when a supplier sent the wrong LCA's. Whoever filled the order was dyslexic - had two of the part numbers flip flopped. The original LCA's received were for a car.

I remember replacing the ball joints on a small Mercury my son had. Just had to rent a tool from Advance to punch them out.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,848 Posts
The rubber has minor cracking from dry-rot. Normal for a 10 year-old car. I would pass it.
It isn't important yet, but keep an eye on it.
If the rubber tears out, the joint is still 'captive' and won't separate. As it deteriorates, alignment may change, wear tires quicker and clunk over bumps.
Is it noisy over bumps?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Once a year , eh? Not to shabby for a "junk" car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts