Allpar Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Kog, wasn't saying disconnect the vacuum advance and leave it at that, just commenting that sometimes vacuum advance on RB engines may at times advance too fast and cause pinging if it advances too quickly.

Cris, you need to get ahold of a referee or go online to see what your smog laws are. Some states will allow a change of carb, others will not. Some will allow a tail sniff that sniffs cleaner than limits set for a specific vehicle or engine and could care less what is under the hood, and here in California, numbers on EGR, catalytic converters, vacuum hose routing, you name it, if it isn't CAFE approved, you fail. In other words, find out what you can and cannot have different than stock before buying or changing a whole lot of stuff, it's the safe way to do it.

The Six pack single 350cfm 2bbl carb would not go onto your 440 by itself without a 4bbl to 2bbl adapter plate, to which there was not a single RB ( 413/426 wedge/440 that ever had a 2bbl intake manifold), it is just too small a carb to run that large a vehicle to boot.

See if the smog rules allow the Holley carb, which they might.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
You might be able to make a different carb work, but probably not that one. My bet is it's running way rich with it.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Like I said, find out what the allowances are for changes. A Holley carb is easier to jet down for the high altitude a lot easier than a stock carb setup, that's for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update on tires for the "Duck". Says "M+S 8.00R16.5LT" and hard to find for 16-1/2" rim. Reduced the spec to 8.00-16.5 and found in town.
Tires_20201013_Old-blown.jpg
Tires_20201013_Old-blown.jpg

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
That's why I suggested you might want to check scrap yard for 16" rims from a later model 3500 P/U. 16.5s are hard to get, expensive and a little more troublesome than 16.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It's a truck tire, shouldn't be difficult to find replacements. The R indicates radial, that's all.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
16.5s are not that common now. 40 years ago they were.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Would have changed rims, but I have to get it moving yesterday or sooner. Gotta get title-registr-emmiss fast. Wish I could take a little longer to research and plan...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Edelbrock 1205 - Edelbrock Crankcase Ventilation Hose Connection Kits

Found this at Summit Racing to connect 5/8 hose from Breather on the valve cover to inside Edelbrock clamshell air filter that I have. Emissions test to come. Expenditures BEFORE first failed test don't count in my $715 allotment toward a wavier....

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Can this breather on the valve cover be cleaned or replaced? Trying to find part #'s for 440 V-8 from Dodge build F40 or M-400 chassis MB400 in 1977... Breather, PCV valve, air filter housing if I need pre-heat hose??? Vapor from gas tank (I see broken hose), locking gas cap (pressurized???), charcoal filter, other emissions related parts on 1977 Mopar V-8 440cid built into Mallard Motorhome.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
The breather can be cleaned with solvent if it is dirty. The pre-heat hose should be identified needed by a piece of sheetmetal attached to the driver side exhaust manifold with a round hose top and the air cleaner having an upside down hat to connect the two. The air cleaner will have a vacuum operated door at the location to control its function interacting with the choke mechanism. If a charcoal filter and evap hose is needed, there would be a smaller tube running alongside the fuel line itself. If it isn't there, I doubt it was removed. Look for telltale signs of a charcoal canister attached to somewhere under the hood area, if it was needed or removed.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Is the transmission kick down hooked up? If it isn’t, don’t drive it until it’s hooked up and properly adjusted or you can ruin the transmission.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts