Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping for direction to a site that will help me with interchangability.
I would like to find out if I can get:

front disk hubs in a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern to fit the 1979 Cordoba spindles or:

can get the spindles from that front disk lug pattern to fit the Cordoba?

My other alternatives are to redrill axles and drums to match the 5 on 4.5 front pattern, or carry two spares.

Thanks
John

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I was hoping for direction to a site that will help me with interchangability.
I would like to find out if I can get:

front disk hubs in a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern to fit the 1979 Cordoba spindles or:

can get the spindles from that front disk lug pattern to fit the Cordoba?

My other alternatives are to redrill axles and drums to match the 5 on 4.5 front pattern, or carry two spares.

Thanks
John
I don't know of any 5 on 5.5" hubs that will fit your Cordoba spindles; you would be better off IMHO installing a rear end with the 5 on 4.5" pattern and staying with stock Mopar stuff up front. All 1980-ca. 82 Ford F100 pickups used that small bolt pattern but were still 9 inchers I believe. :)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
What axle is that? If it's from another Mopar, there might be correct shaft/flanges in existence.

There have been, over the years, aftermarket wheels with multiple bolt patterns. The 15" spare that I carried with my Stratus had both 5 on 100mm and 5 on 4.5", which were the two common FWD patterns at the time.

As for the axle, a competent shop should be able to drill both the axle flanges and the drums for the car's bolt pattern easily enough, or if there was a drum with the same dimensions but with the correct lug pattern, just redrill the flange and use the new drums.

Also, depending on the axle, there are disc conversion kits. It would still require the flange to be redrilled, but everything else might just interchange.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twx,
The rear diff is 1961 ford 9 inch original to the project truck. I was hoping to find an easy fix without having to redrill the axle flanges and drums, maybe put the original innie rims back on, or the great set of craigers I happen to have. In short it would just be easier if I could work out a 5 on 5.5 pattern on to the front. I was hoping maybe I could swap the front pattern.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought, sombody on another site suggested using the rotor, caliper, and caliper bracket off the D100/150 truck, said it should be a bolt on.....
Is that possible?
Meanwhile I am on a search to see if the 1980 axles will fit the 1961 rear, or do I have to replace the entire rear and weld in new spring perches.
Well at least my mind is occupied.
Again thanks for the help fellas.
John

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Just a thought, sombody on another site suggested using the rotor, caliper, and caliper bracket off the D100/150 truck, said it should be a bolt on.....
Is that possible?
Meanwhile I am on a search to see if the 1980 axles will fit the 1961 rear, or do I have to replace the entire rear and weld in new spring perches.
Well at least my mind is occupied.
Again thanks for the help fellas.
John
Good catch there; I forgot about the ca. 1985+ D (and some B) series 5 lug 2WD trucks, they indeed have the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. The wheel bearings should be the same as your car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bearhawke,
I find its best to ask the guys who work on them all the time. Is there any way to cross check dimensions on both spindles, before I start buying parts ? I will attempt to pull the hub off the cordoba, and write down bearing numbers.
Off to work, its going to be one of those project killing weeks on the job again.. well, have to pay for it somehow...
John

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Thanks Bearhawke,
I find its best to ask the guys who work on them all the time. Is there any way to cross check dimensions on both spindles, before I start buying parts ? I will attempt to pull the hub off the cordoba, and write down bearing numbers.
Off to work, its going to be one of those project killing weeks on the job again.. well, have to pay for it somehow...
John
Cross over the wheel bearing and grease seal numbers between your Cordoba spindles and a late 1980's Dodge 5 lug 2WD truck. If they're the same (I believe they are), you should be good to go. Watch out for caliper supports and calipers though, you might need them from the same application as the above truck for rotor clearance.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I thought that the half-ton trucks got the bigger bolt pattern in '84 or thereabouts... I sold an '83 axle to someone who needed the small bolt pattern on their truck and had bought the wrong year and didn't know that the axle pattern had changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the light truck and the big cars shared the same spindle.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I thought that the half-ton trucks got the bigger bolt pattern in '84 or thereabouts... I sold an '83 axle to someone who needed the small bolt pattern on their truck and had bought the wrong year and didn't know that the axle pattern had changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the light truck and the big cars shared the same spindle.
I know the 1974-78 C bodies used many of the front end parts (ball joints, etc,) as the ca. 1981-93(?) 5 lug 2WD trucks and vans. Not sure about the spindles in all fairness though the upper control arms are different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts