Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried finding reasons why Chrysler hasn't offered one of their Pentastar V6 engines in the Patriot, and I haven't found any. Is there an inappropriate fit? This popular suv could certainly be an even greater cash cow for FCA overall, in addition to the Jeep brand with the option to include one of the V6 Pentastar engines in the Patriot.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I have several reasons:
It wasn't available when the Patriot was conceived.
There were no plans for a V6 in the Patriot; that market was covered by the Liberty.
It likely would not fit in the Patriot - like none of the previous V6 engines.
Today, the basic Patriot design is 7 years old - they are not going to make an effort to try and fit a Pentastar into a 7-year-old design that couldn't fit a V6 in the first place.
The CVT2 transaxle is likely not capable of handling the Pentastar's output. Neither is the 6-speed automatic that's now available.

Much the same reasons why there is no V6 option in a Dodge Dart.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,041 Posts
The PM and MK-body 'triplets' (Caliber, Compass and Patriot) were designed as 4-cylinder only. You could get a 2.4L turbo in the SRT-4. I have little doubt that a V6 could be shoe-horned into the engine compartment, but was decided against for good reasons. The triplet program was done on a shoe-string budget at a time when the ravaged Chrysler Corp was sinking.
The old-school 2.7L would probably have been the only domestic candidate at the time and that engine was on its way out. The promising new 4-cyl WGE were developed for these new lines of vehicles, while the old PT still had the old-school 2.4L. The PT which was based on the Neon (PL) never had a V6 option either. You could get a turbo on the old 2.4L.
The Cherokee can be had with a smaller Pentastar 3.2L V6. The Renegade can be had with the 2.4L Tigershark.
It may have been drivetrain or chassis limitations or that the triplet platform was derived from the Mitsubishi GS. I don't know.
The 2.4L is considered ample for the drivetrain and chassis structure limitations of the Patriot. I don't know if Tigershark performance is available on Patriot.
The next size up Sebring/200/Avenger (JS) could have a V6, in fact the strong 3.5L HO was available and you don't see many of them. It also looks a lot like a Mitsubishi Galant underneath.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts