Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm suspecting my B2500's Primary Control Module of intermittent failure, and was hunting down a replacement. Unfortunately the PCM I have is a Morap Remanufactured unit and it's part number does not seem to cross-reference to a sorresponding OEM number (I'm sure it does, I can't find it though).

My number is R4886671 and the van is most likely a California model (California titled). I don't know if this year has a different PCM for Ca models or not, and I've found a couple that match. I'm actually leaning toward findind a CA version of the PCM since I use the van to tow in high altitude conditions, and if I ever sell it, it will likely be in California. Really though, I just need a freakin' PCM to get this thing back on the road.

Anyone know how to cross reference a Mopar # to an OEM number, or how to just look up my vehicle's VIN and figure out the correct unit required?
Thanks,
b-z-

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's interesting that all the 5.2L engines on that page are CAL versions, and the 5.9L have CAL and FED-only versions. Well thanks for the answer; that cross-reference is mighty handy! All the computers I was looking at online had entirely different numbers so I was really suspect of what I had. I did manage to find one with that number though.

Out of curiosity, do you know the difference between the part I have (AB body) and the AN and BR body versions? I assume they are Ram pick-ups, but I wonder really what is different with the other versions. Since I don't currently have to pass smog (Arizona registration) I could maybe find a better price if I broadened my search to inslude the other versions. Or heck, maybe a truck computer would be better since all I ever do is tow with it?
Thanks,
b-z-

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
AN would be a Dakota computer. BR would be the Ram. I would not try to switch between body styles because the calibration is not that different and you might introduce a security system issue if the truck computer has security enabled or if the options the computer expected to see between a truck and a van were different.

According to the reflash list I have, part number 4886671 is listed as the reflash for 56028348 so if you see 56028348 it would be a compatible computer only with older software.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on. Thanks Valiant, you were a huge help and saved me a mistake. Aside from motorcycle and aircraft ECU's the only experience I have is with my father's old S10. It had different part numbers but according to him all of the maps were on the ECU and it would figure out from signal pulses which engine it was hooked to, "unlocking" the other map. He put a V8 ECU in his V6 and it did run rich for several drives, but eventually it passed California smog all on it's own.

Based on that past experience I was expecting any '94-'95 ECU to work if it was for A/T. Fortunately my expectation of Murphy's law to show up led me here. You saved me $75 getting the wrong part, and a week of time.
Cheers,
b-z-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts