Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
The only significant differences between the Ram truck Pentastar and most other versions are its intake manifold, oil pan and front cover; all driven by packaging needs. “The Pentastar goes into 13 different vehicle lines,” Gorgas says. “We're able to get by with only two different intake manifolds, one for Ram truck and Wrangler, the other (with a different throttle body location) for all other applications.”
This is the part that impresses me the most.

I am impressed that the same engine is in nearly all vehicles, but it's not exactly the first time this happened. The days of the G/RG, LA, and B/RB come to mind. On the other hand, with stronger emissions requirements and stronger fuel economy requirements it's welcome that they've managed to make this so.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also seems to answer some questions some had on here about why they don't use DI.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
TWX said:
This is the part that impresses me the most.

I am impressed that the same engine is in nearly all vehicles, but it's not exactly the first time this happened. The days of the G/RG, LA, and B/RB come to mind. On the other hand, with stronger emissions requirements and stronger fuel economy requirements it's welcome that they've managed to make this so.
but the A/LA B/RB still had different dressings as well. each body had its own exhaust manifolds, oil pans, etc for each engine, and for each performance variant of certain engines.

example 383 had 3 or 4 different 'trims' for some years, depending on cam, heads, manifolds, and carburetor setup. this now has simplified immensely over those days.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
I have been quite happy with the Pentastar in my Challenger. My only regret is that it wasn't in the Wrangler earlier so I could have afrorded a Pentastar powered Wrangler.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
fargo59 said:
but the A/LA B/RB still had different dressings as well. each body had its own exhaust manifolds, oil pans, etc for each engine, and for each performance variant of certain engines.

example 383 had 3 or 4 different 'trims' for some years, depending on cam, heads, manifolds, and carburetor setup. this now has simplified immensely over those days.
True, though with no FWD application, generally it was just a matter of a truck/van oil pan or a car oil pan, or exhaust manifolds for an A-body, a B or C body, or a truck or van, all definitely bolt-on stuff as far as packaging itself is concerned, as opposed to how the intake manifold is a little bit more involved in the long block.

I've heard that the 3.5L V6 had different ears and bosses and the like cast as part of the block depending on orientation.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Also seems to answer some questions some had on here about why they don't use DI.
I really enjoy reading stuff like this.
The average person makes many assumptions about what the company "ought to do" with out knowing why they aren't doing it. The pentastar was designed with DI potentially in mind, but clearly they must have figured the cost / benefit ratio simply wasn't there. Add in the other factors, like new emissions, and it starts to make a lot more sense.

TANSTAAFL

·
Registered
681 Posts
Best part of the article;

"Pentastar chief engineer Steve Gorgas"

Steve was a key player in the development and continuous improvement of the HEMI.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
JTE said:
Best part of the article;

"Pentastar chief engineer Steve Gorgas"

Steve was a key player in the development and continuous improvement of the HEMI.
You know him?
He sounds well spoken. I at least appreciated his candor. It's the kind of thing that makes me wish I saw Bob S, well and you, for that matter, posting more.

I also like when I get to read something that doesn't appear to be written by a bloody marketing dept.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
TWX said:
True, though with no FWD application, generally it was just a matter of a truck/van oil pan or a car oil pan, or exhaust manifolds for an A-body, a B or C body, or a truck or van, all definitely bolt-on stuff as far as packaging itself is concerned, as opposed to how the intake manifold is a little bit more involved in the long block.

I've heard that the 3.5L V6 had different ears and bosses and the like cast as part of the block depending on orientation.
right, but there was 383-2, 383-4, 383-hi po (magnum/super commando) and so forth. open chamber and closed chamber heads, different cams, manifolds, and so much more than just oil pans.

yes it's true that the 3.5 had different blocks for FWD and RWD. LX, LH, an CS all used different blocks, i think JC and JS used the same as the CS but i could be wrong again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've worked with Steve off and on going back to the pre JTE gen 1 Neon / 2.0 L program. He is a very competent engineer and it would not surprise me to see him fill Bob Lee's shoes one day.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
JTE said:
I've worked with Steve off and on going back to the pre JTE gen 1 Neon / 2.0 L program. He is a very competent engineer and it would not surprise me to see him fill Bob Lee's shoes one day.
I've never owned a HEMI, but I friggin' love the 3.6 in our Caravan.

Hopefully he can do some magic to the 4-bangers now.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
WOW!

I Knew the Manufacturing Spec's Were Tight for a Good Reason!

:thumbsup:

TMD

·
Registered
819 Posts
I already love mine and it's only been 3 days.

·
Registered
220 Posts
unverferth said:
It's just too bad that kind of engineering didn't go into the World Engines.
It did, but it wasn't the Chrysler variants that got it. The Thundershark re-developments would apppear to answer most of the original objections. The marriage of MultiAire and DI and forced induction, which was designed in, in anticipation, into the World engines, wlll lead to HCCI implementations sooner or later. In contrast, Ford had to replace all its Duratec generation with blocks and bottom ends strong enough for Ecoboost. .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know how expensive the pentastar is to maintain? Is it easy to change the spark plugs on it for instance? I would assume it has a timing chain and not a belt? This is on my short list but I haven't looked into the maintenance factor yet.

Thanks,

-Guru

·
Registered
279 Posts
My understanding is that to change the water pump, the timing chain has to be removed. If so, radiator fluid maintenance would be a #1 priority.

Tom

1 - 20 of 32 Posts