Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2012 Pentastar 3.6 is throwing P0016 code and misfiring. I don’t know how to diagnose it.

We just changed rocker arms on driver’s side (bank 2 I believe) to fix a tick, and it immediately coded.

Supposedly P0016 = bank 1 cam A is out of sync with crank, and I believe bank 1 is the passenger side. If this is correct, we barely touched this bank, only removing the wires to the cam sensor (later realized we did not need to).

This engine has quite a bit of sludge, 130k miles.

To swap the rocker arms, we loosened the cam bearing caps, which provided enough clearance to swap the 2 rear cylinders. However, timing chain tension held the cam front down, so to swap the front cylinder rockers we had raise the front of the cam slightly. We did this by prying up under the cam gear, being careful not to force the VVT oil control valve. This raised the cam about 1/8 inch, which was just enough.

We also turned the engine over by hand with the cam bearings loosened to rotate the cams. I watched the timing chain – there was constant tension, so it did not skip time.

I read a P0016 can be caused by many things, including skipping time (I can’t believe this happened) or by an OCV oil hole getting plugged.

Questions:
1) Any thoughts on how I can diagnose this?
2) Is it correct that P0016 is a passenger side bank cam (which we did not touch)?

Thanks in advance,
Parkerea

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. You may want to get a factory service manual for this vehicle for this level of work. There are special tools and procedures to hold the valvetrain in position during cam/rocker service. If the chain tensioners 'ratchet' outwards to take up chain slack, they may not just collapse back in with pressure. The tensioner ratchet may have to be released first.
Has it set any actual misfire codes? Is oil pressure OK? There may be a timing chain 're-learn' with the scan tool if the positions have changed, but misalignment may have changed 10° or more which would indicate that something has jumped.
Bank 1 is the one with the #1 cylinder, which is the right side (or rear for transverse) bank. Rule out 'Possible Causes' one-by-one until you narrow in on your answer:

P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT - BANK 1 SENSOR 1

Possible Causes:
INCORRECT ENGINE OIL VISCOSITY OR OIL FILTER
ENGINE OIL AERATED OR CONTAMINATED
INSUFFICIENT OIL PRESSURE DUE TO A MECHANICAL FAILURE IN THE OILING SYSTEM
CAMSHAFT 1/2 OIL CONTROL VALVE FAULTY OR INTERMITTENTLY BINDING/STICKING SPOOL VALVE CAMSHAFT TONE WHEEL MISALIGNED
CAMSHAFT 1/2 PHASER
TIMING CHAIN/SPROCKET ALIGNMENT
BROKEN OR FAULTY TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER OR GUIDES
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOLVED!

Two coincidental, unrelated codes:
1) The P0016 cam/crank timing code was apparently unrelated to our work. Per my son, long ago he experienced a Check Engine light which a shop told him was a cam sensor issue. They cleared it and that seemed to be the end of it... so he thought! This explains how bank 1, which we had not touched, threw a code.
2) There was a misfire in cyl 6 that WAS our fault -- we missed the fuel injector plug. This caused two error codes, one about the misfire, and one about open circuit to the #6 injector.

I had missed the 2nd & 3rd codes, the ones about the misfire, because I don't use the OBD reader that much. I had to go back to the manual to remember how to read additional codes. Ah, the joys of being a backyard mechanic!

Thanks again to all,
- parkerea

1 - 3 of 3 Posts