Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cylinder head on our 2012 Durango with the Pentastar V6 was replaced in December 2016. The only indication that the cylinder head needed to be replaced was the check engine light. Following the head being replaced a ticking noise developed. It's my wife's car so I don't exactly how long after the noise developed but she informed me about mid January 2017 which was about a month after and she did indicate it had been making the ticking noise for at least a couple of weeks before that. I brought it in to the dealer that did the work and they stated it nothing to do with the the replacement of the head and it was lifters. They stated the lifters are not replaced when they do the head and that the current lifters are bad and they just wear out. So they replaced the lifters. The dealer dropped the car off at our home since we weren't home and when we first started it up there was no improvement and the ticking noise was exactly the same. I've searched forums and can not find a similar situation since most cases of ticking noise and cylinder head replacement seemed to take care of the issue. Any suggestions?

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,335 Posts
FCA North America - Contact Us (at http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/footer/Pages/ContactUs.aspx )

For questions or concerns regarding your vehicle or dealer service please contact the brand phone number for your vehicle below:
Customer Care:
Alfa Romeo
1-844-253-2872 or Send Alfa Romeo a message
Chrysler 1-800-CHRYSLER (1-800-247-9753) or Send Chrysler a message
Dodge 1-800-4A-DODGE (1-800-423-6343) or Send Dodge a message
FIAT® 1-888-CIAO-FIAT (1-888-242-6342) or Send Fiat a message
Jeep® 1-877- IAM-JEEP (1-877-426-5337) or Send Jeep a message
Ram 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636) or Send Ram a message
Mopar® 1-888-528-HEMI (1-888-528-4364) or Send Mopar a message
SRT® 1-855-SRT-TEAM (1-855-778-8326) or Send SRT a message

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,734 Posts
Keep in mind that the ticking may not be the lifters. If they were replaced already, I would highly doubt that it is lifters. Unfortunately, lifters is the first thing most people think.
Other valvetrain/cam timing components can make a tick. Fuel injectors and a minor exhaust manifold leak can sound like a tick.

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Imperial crown and Chuzz... The dealer seems to be stuck on the lifters even though they just replaced them. I started laughing when they told me they still thinks its the lifters and asked how and he didn't really have a response. I'm going to hear from them again today and will them know to look at the items you listed.

·
Super Moderator
22,734 Posts
Always diagnose first. They should know that.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,794 Posts
The Neon injectors were so loud many bad mechanics got people to junk their car by making them listen to the engine... “See that noise? It means your engine’s gone bad!”

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have other Pentastar V6's had to have their lifters replaced around 90,000 miles? The only reason I ask is I have never had or heard of this occurring without a lot of miles on the vehicle. I searched several forums to and couldn't find any other threads in reference to it.

·
Super Moderator
22,734 Posts
The Pentastar hydraulic lifters (lash adjusters) themselves generally have had a very good track record AFAIK.

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,210 Posts
Sounds like the dealer needs a set of chassis ears, or similar to rule out an exhaust leak or a noisy fuel injector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I called this afternoon they said they decided to replace the lifters again, since that's where the noise was coming from. They're supposed have it complete tomorrow. Interested to see if it takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Well, if it doesn't take care of it (which I highly doubt), tell them to check for an exhaust leak. Could be as simple as a gasket or even a cracked manifold. IDK, I'm NOT an ASE Certified Mechanic. Just an old fart who's been pulling his own wrenches for 45 years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The roller followers on the 3.6 are known to fail and will cause ticking noise. Usually not the lifters on the 3.6 that fail but have had a few. The exhaust manifold is built into the cylinder head thus exhaust ticks are not common on the 3.6 but still possible. Most likely they don't know what they are doing. Common now as dealerships think just anyone can be a tech all they need is Chrysler training. The fact they gave it back with it still ticking shows the tech doesn't care if it is actually fixed. He's got something else to make money on instead of making you happy. So one of the dealer's best employees because they turn a lot of hours. This is the way tech are becoming more and more as dealers promote it. Dealers aren't worried about fixing cars just making more money. So throwing parts at them works out for the dealers. If they don't have it fixed this time call FCA and complaint. FCA will call the dealer. The service manager will complain in a shop meeting about FFV being low, but not address issue with his best techs. And we go around and around. Sorry you are having problem getting your car fixed but a lot of times making a fuss is the only way to get them to do it right. Usually means redispatching your car to a tech that actually tries. If the dealer has any left.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's going to be the fight once they figure out what is wrong with it. I called the dealer around 11:00 am this morning and they said it still was not complete (the service manager on the phone last night thought it would be done last night), which is leading me to believe they are having issues with it. I did submit a service issue to Chrysler yesterday and they should be contacting the dealer in the next couple of days according to the email I received. I also submitted a complaint to the BBB. At this point it has become a slippery slope so if it gets worse I would like to be prepared.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dealer completed the work yesterday around 2:45. They told me they replaced the lifters and it was no longer making the noise. I picked it up without issue and we plan on driving it on a 300 mile weekend road trip this coming weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic they finally corrected the issue, but we'll see over the next couple of weeks. We also plan on taking down to Gulf Shores, AL in about 10 days. Thanks for everyone's assistance and hopefully I won't be adding anything else to this post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts