Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know why the V6 pentastar engine of the Grand Cherokee is flexfuel labelled ( 65%-85% of ethanol ) but not the same engine in the Wrangler ?
Because in some country in Europe (like France) the emission taxes are much lighter when flexfuel labelled!

·
Super Moderator
40,307 Posts
There is more to the flex fuel than just the engine. Even assuming the engine is 100% the same, there is the rest of the fuel system that has to be upgraded.
I'd bet a difference in target users/markets is the reason one is and the other is not.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I think it goes even farther than just upgrading materials outside of the engine as well, the PCM tune and programming is customized for every vehicle and I'm very willing to believe that E85 vehicles include additional development and testing with the PCM tune and programming over just a gasoline only vehicle. Thus, for a particular vehicle, if E85 is NOT going to result in enough additional sales to make an ROI for the additional development and materials, then is it worth it?

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,549 Posts
Agreed. And it is worth it from a CAFE point of view so I am guessing there are good reasons for not doing it, when they don't, beyond the cost. It might just be that they have limited personnel, but it might also be that Wrangler is a special case where they really can't achieve two goals at once. Or maybe E85 is waiting for the eight speed.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
But Dave makes a good point, that the extra materials and development costs and times are NOT so high, that it wouldn't be shocking to see the following model year offer E85. I think the auto industry is a game of miles and inches, you may be making billion dollars decisions, but its so competitive, every couple of hundreds of dollar count. An E85 Wrangler, NOT worth this year or next, but in 3 years maybe it will be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
40,307 Posts
E85 is often added where it's needed for fleet bids.
For example, you may have to provide an E85 capable engine to be eligible for certain government contracts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.