Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is everyone?
Usually, i use Full Synthetic every 5000 to 6000 miles. This time I used the Penzoil Full Synthetic 5w30 with Dexos. I have read nothing but rave reviews for this oil.

I must say however, I am not impressed. After only 1500 miles, my oil change notification has come on.

When checking the level, the viscosity of this oil seems too thin, almost the consistency of water.

Does anyone have any experience using this oil in their Dodge Grand Caravan?
My caravan is 2011 Crew. I have 250578 miles and going strong with regular TLC. What are your thoughts?o_O

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
Might want to check if the oil meets MS-6395 specifications and viscosity per your owner's manual. I don't put stock in any rave reviews - especially if they are from the oil manufacturer.

I have always used conventional oil and I've had at least 4-5 engines log over 200,000 miles with no major engine issues and one that had over 300,000 miles. With all of them I changed the oil and filter on a regular basis (every 5-6,000 miles).

I have used Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol and many others (all conventional) and have had no issues. I'd go back to whatever you were using before.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The oil change notification is based on duty cycle not oil condition or viscosity. Are you sure the oil change light was properly reset at the last oil change?

From the owners manual:
The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle-based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.
Also Dexos is not a "thing" it's a GM oil specification that that oil meets.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil change notification is based on duty cycle not oil condition or viscosity. Are you sure the oil change light was properly reset at the last oil change?

From the owners manual:
If anything, I am driving less. And maybe it is not based on viscosity but, i have never seen oil so thin and a couple of times I got a whiff after driving for a good distance around 80 mph that it smelled like something was burning. I cannot be certain about it being reset i just know that it was only after 1500 miles on the oil change with the dexos that it came on. Since, they d8d not have the dexos, i do not think in 2011 when they manufactured my caravan m, i do not know if the owners msnual will cover using this oil.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might want to check if the oil meets MS-6395 specifications and viscosity per your owner's manual. I don't put stock in any rave reviews - especially if they are from the oil manufacturer.

I have always used conventional oil and I've had at least 4-5 engines log over 200,000 miles with no major engine issues and one that had over 300,000 miles. With all of them I changed the oil and filter on a regular basis (every 5-6,000 miles).

I have used Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol and many others (all conventional) and have had no issues. I'd go back to whatever you were using before.
I will always use synthetic oil. Hardly any of the other drivers gotten as many miles as I have without changing out the motor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
According to the Pennzoil website, all of the synthetic oils offered by Pennzoil meet the MS-6395 specification (including the Dexos oil).

What I am getting at with the re-setting of the oil change light is, if your oil was last changed at 5,000 miles and the change oil light was not on, and was not reset, your van thinks you are at 7,500 miles and is turning on the light thinking you are due for an oil change.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
George is correct. The oil change reminder is duty cycle driven. It does not sense the viscosity or condition of the oil. Was the oil change reminder on before you had the oil change? If not, it may have never been reset (it's quite simple) and now it's because its met the criteria from the sensors indicating an oil change is needed.

To reset the reminder, turn the ignition on without starting the engine. Depress the accelerator pedal to the floor three times within 10 seconds. Turn ignition off. The reminder should now be reset.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to the Pennzoil website, all of the synthetic oils offered by Pennzoil meet the MS-6395 specification (including the Dexos oil).

What I am getting at with the re-setting of the oil change light is, if your oil was last changed at 5,000 miles and the change oil light was not on, and was not reset, your van thinks you are at 7,500 miles and is turning on the light thinking you are due for an oil change.
Ok, i got ya. I wished i could remember if i had reset it i just find it odd that it seemed so thin and dirty. I do not know what the burning smell was. Maybe the oil is the only thing I did different
George is correct. The oil change reminder is duty cycle driven. It does not sense the viscosity or condition of the oil. Was the oil change reminder on before you had the oil change? If not, it may have never been reset (it's quite simple) and now it's because its met the criteria from the sensors indicating an oil change is needed.

To reset the reminder, turn the ignition on without starting the engine. Depress the accelerator pedal to the floor three times within 10 seconds. Turn ignition off. The reminder should now be reset.
Thank you. Yes i am aware of how to reset the oil change. I just was really wondering had anyone else used this oil and if they noticed a difference.

·
Super Moderator
21,620 Posts
I don't see where this Synthetic oil does meet Chrysler MS-6395 (MS=material standard). Pennzoil recommends the Ultra Platinum oil for Chryslers.
GPCDOC_Local_TDS_Canada_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5W-30_(SN_GF-5)_(en-CA)_TDS.pdf
Dexos is a GM oil ingredient.
Thin oil may be good for fuel economy, but you do want the correct oil viscosity for the vehicle.
Oil change intervals may be much shorter for Taxi-duty vehicles, but the oil must be the recommended type.
Start with an oil that meets MS-6395 at your next oil change.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see where this Synthetic oil does meet Chrysler MS-6395 (MS=material standard). Pennzoil recommends the Ultra Platinum oil for Chryslers.
GPCDOC_Local_TDS_Canada_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5W-30_(SN_GF-5)_(en-CA)_TDS.pdf
Dexos is a GM oil ingredient.
Thin oil may be good for fuel economy, but you do want the correct oil viscosity for the vehicle.
Oil change intervals may be much shorter for Taxi-duty vehicles, but the oil must be the recommended type.
Start with an oil that meets MS-6395 at your next oil change.
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed to know. Except to be sure that the Penzoil Full Synthetic 5w30 is ok right but just not with dexos

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't see where this Synthetic oil does meet Chrysler MS-6395 (MS=material standard)...
Which oil are you talking about when you say "this Synthetic oil"?

All the full synthetic oils on the Pennzoil website show that they meet the MS-6395 specification.

Pennzoil does have "Pennzoil Synthetic Blend dexos1 Motor Oil", which does not meet the MS-6395 specification but the OP stated that it was "the Penzoil Full Synthetic 5w30 with Dexos", perhaps the OP was mistaken, and it was the synthetic blend.

...Dexos is a GM oil ingredient...
Dexos is a specification the oil must meet, not an ingredient. See: dexos®

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

All the full synthetic oils on the Pennzoil website show that they meet the MS-6395 specification.

Pennzoil does have "Pennzoil Synthetic Blend dexos1 Motor Oil", which does not meet the MS-6395 specification but the OP stated that it was "the Penzoil Full Synthetic 5w30 with Dexos", perhaps the OP was mistaken, and it was the synthetic blend.

I never buy the blend. I still have the container at home,i believe. I will check it. But, i am usually real careful about making sure that I get full synthetic. IC was talking about the oilthat I asked about.
The full syntheic Penzoil Platinum with dexos 5 w30

·
Registered
170 Posts
I never buy the blend. I still have the container at home,i believe. I will check it. But, i am usually real careful about making sure that I get full synthetic. IC was talking about the oilthat I asked about.
The full syntheic Penzoil Platinum with dexos 5 w30
If you still have the bottle post the exact name, also check the back of the bottle to see if it lists the MS-6395 specification.

Here is a list of Pennzoil motor oils listed on their site: Motor Oil – Pennzoil

Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology:
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
- Pennzoil Platinum
- Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage

Synthetic Blend Motor Oils:
- Pennzoil Gold
- Pennzoil Synthetic Blend dexos1™

Except for "Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™", all the above oils meet the MS-6395 specification.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you still have the bottle post the exact name, also check the back of the bottle to see if it lists the MS-6395 specification.

Here is a list of Pennzoil motor oils listed on their site: Motor Oil – Pennzoil

- Pennzoil Platinum

- Pennzoil Gold

Except for "Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™", all the above oils meet the MS-6395 specification.
What if it is the synthetic blend that is not approved. Will it cause damage?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can't say for certain, but in my opimion, it's not likely.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
Like George said probably not, but if it were me I'd change it to an oil that does meet Chrysler's MS-6395 specification.

In checking the Pennzoil website the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend with Dexos has the following under specifications:

Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:

• Exceeds GM dexos1™ specification
  • Exceeds API SN Service Classification
  • Exceeds the highest U.S. standards for automotive engine wear protection
  • Meets or exceeds many manufacturers’ U.S. warranty requirements
  • Exceeds ILSAC GF 5 requirements

Specifications may vary by viscosity grade.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus™ Technology has the following:
Industry specifications:

• API SN, SM, SL and SJ
  • ILSAC GF-5
    • Exceeds ILSAC GF-5 engine cleansing and protection requirements

OEM specifications:

• GM 4718M (Corvette and Cadillac) (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
  • Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
  • Chrysler MS12633 (SRT) (SAE 0W-40)
  • GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
  • Ford WSS-M2C930-A and WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)
  • Ford WSS-M2C929-A and WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30)
  • Honda/Acura HTO-06 (SAE 5W-30)
  • GM dexos1™ Certification (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)

Specifications may vary by viscosity grade.

So it appear the Dexos is specifically designed for GM products.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

- Pennzoil Platinum

- Pennzoil Gold

Here is what I used and it is Full Synthetic
2016-03-12 00.43.33.jpg

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
What's the label have on the back?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I use only Pennzoil platinum/platinum plus synthetic in one of my vehicles and never had a problem with it. A couple others, I just use the recommended conventional oil. I've never seen the "Dexos" logo on any I've bought, but it just may be new labelling since the last time I bought some. As people mentioned, "Dexos" is just a specification or In my words, an excuse, by GM to make money by selling oil companies a license. Having that spec on the bottle certainly won't do your vehicle any harm. If you don't feel it's good value for your money, just revert to what you were using before.
Putting DEX on anything deters me however. Especially after the dexcool fiasco the GM engineers supposedly spec'd out specifically for GM vehicles.
"DEX-aster!" Lol Even the GM Lovers even started calling it Dexkill. :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts