Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if there are any performance improvements that have been made on the new 3.6L V-6 engine that could be applied to the T & C vans?
What about a dual exhaust system?
I see dual pipes on the Journey ---- would they work for a van?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The dual pipes on the Journey are pretty much cosmetic. Its not a true dual exhaust as it is a single split just before the space saver spare and then has a pipe that runs either side to the rear - its a large T shaped piece with near 90 degree bends that do the split It still sounds great though on our Journey LOL.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently evrybody who has one is happy with the performance of this engine in their van, although there is two other variations on it that make more power.
Does everyone know that?
---- only one respose on dual exhaust? I must be talking to the soccer-moms club!

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
I see the auto parts stores offer a roll your own cold air intake. Out of all the performance mods I did to my 1998 neon its the one that did the most. If you don't mind experimenting with reliability, there is the Diablo Sport tuner. Chrysler has blocked their ECU bit I understand it may have a work around, If you do any real mods to the exhaust you need to tune the ECU anyway. With a minivan you need to be a pioneer. A place to get Ideas is at a drag strip, I got a lot of clues there. Tip, don;t waste your money on different spark plugs unless your mods aren't working right. Good Luck.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Perhaps others are happy with what they've got.

If they can't do a true dual exhaust - likely, due to packaging requirements - then there's really no benefit to be had to make a "fake" one a'la Journey.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
You already have a cold air intake on your minivan.
The intake manifold which fits under a Challenger hood may not fit under a minivan hood. You would need the Challenger PCM to go with that. Consider that it may violate your powertrain warranty and state emission testing (if applicable) with these mods.
Spending thousands for barely an added kick in the pants (8 ft/lbs torque) and the potential issues that it could cause, isn't worth it IMHO.
There weren't any real performance pieces available for the previous 3.3L/3.8L engines either and the Pentastar is already tuned as a High-Output engine. It breathes and it screams in a 4650+ lb (2115+ kg) vehicle.
Especially with the way that present horsepower ratings are figured (lower), 300 hp out of a V6 would have been just a pipe dream a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Pentastar_engine

·
Registered
181 Posts
rkmdogs said:
I must be talking to the soccer-moms club!
Or you could be an unwitting member of it.. :tomato:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or you could be an unwitting member of it.. :tomato:
Thanks for that snide comment! No, I am an old-time hot-rodder, as my other vehicle shows.
Just wondering if improvements could be reasonably done to the van, since this engine is offered in two other vehicles with higher ratings --- thought maybe it was downgraded, 'cause it was going into a "lowly" van!
Dodge offers a "manly" version, but that is all cosmetics!
Yeah, I still suffer from that ol' disease called "pedus plumbitus", or as it is known to the younger set, --- lead-foot!

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The RS gen ('01-'07) minivan almost got a 3.5L H.O. (250 hp) but it was shot down.
Serviceability of the rear bank looked too cramped to be practical and marketing decided that they wouldn't move enough units to justify the expenditure. The present Caravan R/T is mostly nice options, but still the 283 hp Pentastar/6-spd drivetrain.

You probably are looking for something like this :thumbsup: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQM_TyyRye4

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
My guess is that the usual things that people do to vehicles, like removing the sound baffling from the intake and increasing the size of the exhaust are the best that one will get out of this vehicle. It's exceedingly unlikely to find any real aftermarket support for a minivan, and while the same transverse-mount engine went into the Avenger and 200, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of aftermarket for those to appropriate to the van either.

I would expect that many old-school methods could be employed, like pulling the engine, balancing the rotating assembly and porting the heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds, but the problem will always be modding to the point that the ECU gets upset and starts throwing codes.

I don't know how good the balancing and flow is on this engine, but considering how much power it makes right out of the box, I don't expect a lot of miracles in stepping up the power.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I hate to say it, but unless you add AWD, the power the vans have now is enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love "more power" but I think the vans are excellent.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The 2.2L minivans (and others) of the '80's had much more available factory and aftermarket performance hardware and engine compartment room than anything that came afterwards. There was no real hot-rodding of the EFI engines. Turbo's did well.
The potential is there, but the research, development and market may not be. You are under the constraints of the insurance companies, EPA, CAFE and other agencies. You don't want to tinker or tamper while under a powertrain warranty or annual state emissions inspection.
Removing baffles and resonators may make the intake sound louder, but will probably net you no increase in horsepower. The chips can't do what they claim either.
EFI calibration is already pretty optimal as far as day-to day driveability, performance, economy and emissions goes. You can find ways to dump in more air and fuel, but then there goes your beautiful fuel economy and clean emissions. The factory can't have that being done to their product under the watchful eye of the government. Ford, GM and the imports included.
NOx is the best bang for the buck and is great fun, but only comes in under full throttle.
Can the 62TE transaxle in a 4650 lb minivan take the stress of another 100 hp load and still last?
If you need a toy, look at cheaper, older vehicles that are under less regulation, more affordable and have the available pieces.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
The RS gen ('01-'07) minivan almost got a 3.5L H.O. (250 hp) but it was shot down.
Serviceability of the rear bank looked too cramped to be practical and marketing decided that they wouldn't move enough units to justify the expenditure. The present Caravan R/T is mostly nice options, but still the 283 hp Pentastar/6-spd drivetrain.

You probably are looking for something like this :thumbsup: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQM_TyyRye4
Would certainly stop people from tailgating, especially at high speed! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would certainly stop people from tailgating, especially at high speed! :thumbsup:
The only problem with this arrangement is, where do I put the dog crates?
Romney got criticized for putting his on the roof ---- and then getting a 70lb.
dog up there is another issue...

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
You could presumably reverse-engineer the dual intake used on some cars but I don't know how you'd adjust the computer to compensate, and you're looking at maybe ten horsepower.

For day to day responsiveness, I think you'd really want to adjust the transmission shift map more than the engine. Indeed, I think the weak point of the transmission is the slow response when you stomp on the gas, which would be a purely Chrysler computer thing. Eliminate that, and increase the proclivity to downshift on say 1/3 throttle, and you'd probably do more for “real power” than dumping 30 hp into the engine, so to speak. Don't ask me how you'd do it, though. Wouldn't help in sprints, just in “regular driving,” but that's usually where I feel I need more power.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
You could presumably reverse-engineer the dual intake used on some cars but I don't know how you'd adjust the computer to compensate, and you're looking at maybe ten horsepower.

For day to day responsiveness, I think you'd really want to adjust the transmission shift map more than the engine. Indeed, I think the weak point of the transmission is the slow response when you stomp on the gas, which would be a purely Chrysler computer thing. Eliminate that, and increase the proclivity to downshift on say 1/3 throttle, and you'd probably do more for “real power” than dumping 30 hp into the engine, so to speak. Don't ask me how you'd do it, though. Wouldn't help in sprints, just in “regular driving,” but that's usually where I feel I need more power.
It's better when it's not in Econ mode. much more responsive then.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Perhaps wait until new turbo/supercharger kits come out on other 3.6l-equipped vehicles (ex: challenger, 200, wrangler, etc).

The packaging constraints are going to be an issur for the minivan.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are absolutely right Dave, we do not use the econ button.
It got turned on accidently once, when we were down in Miami and my son-in-law was driving.
The shifting went crazy, and this is after we had the M-38 recall reprograming done!
We stay in the regular mode, and are O.K with most of the performance, but sometimes ---
would like a little more oomph!

New issue: What is with the Kuhmo tires crapping out @ 30,000 miles?
Dealer wants to replace them with another set of the same garbage!Tire Rack comments are thumbs down.
Bought a set of BFG Advantage T/A's for less, and they carry a 60,000 mile warranty!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts