Allpar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,674 Posts
1984 still had the 4 lug nut wheels. 1985-on had the 5 lug wheels.
I went to training for the G-cars at Tappan Zee back in Summer 1983.
K-derivatives like this and the minivans made 1984 a very good year at Chrysler.

·
Registered
2005 PT Cruiser Limited
90 Posts
That's such a nice car. Congratulations.

·
Administrator
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that's a beauty! I had an 86 Turbo Z 5 speed that went over 305,000 miles! Loved it. I trust that is an 84??

View attachment 85733
Yes. It's an '84. 66K original miles. 1 previous owner.

I had never seen the headlight covers like pictured above, but the previous owners had them in a box. They're sitting in the car right now. I'm not sure I'm going to install them or not..

Those were and still are beautiful cars.

View attachment 85736
The car came with the original sales brochure as well.

1984 still had the 4 lug nut wheels. 1985-on had the 5 lug wheels.
I went to training for the G-cars at Tappan Zee back in Summer 1983.
K-derivatives like this and the minivans made 1984 a very good year at Chrysler.
I hadn't noticed that before. I was kind of hoping to install the larger 'Ninja' rims on it when I replace the tires.

That's such a nice car. Congratulations.
Thanks!

That is one BEAUTIFUL Car! If I came across one like this, I would be very tempted to purchase! Congratulations on you find.
I just happened across it. I was driving to the other side of the state to take pictures and saw it sitting on a B lot. Of course, I had to stop it. I took a test drive, went home and thought about it for a couple of days. I decided I wasn't going to buy it and told them as much. After talking it over with my brother and girlfriend, both of whom encouraged me to purchase it, I called and told them I'd buy it pending another, longer test drive.

I drove it home and a little bit the next day. It is now sitting in my garage, having displaced my Charger, waiting until the snow disappears.

It needs a new clutch and the lights in the instrument cluster don't work. I'm not sure if the AC works since it was cold when I drove it, but it seemed like the compressor kicked on. The navigator buttons don't work. I didn't expect them to. The CD player works when the car isn't moving, but seems to stop working when the car is in motion.

That said, everything else works. Even the inflatable lumbar support works.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had never seen the headlight covers like pictured
If I recall, they were made by AVS ?? The people who make a bunch of window vents. I might have got them from J C Whitney; not sure as it was way back when! I had them in clear also in addition to the somewhat translucent black tinted pictured. 😋

By the way, the headlight covers were easily removed by pushing gently sideways. They came with 2 small stick on channels that attached along the sides of each cover. You could NOT drive at night with the dark covers on.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
What a beauty! I had an 84 Laser XE Turbo that looked a lot like that. I had the same wheels too. Mine were 5 lug and not 4. Maybe because it was a Chrysler and not a Dodge? IDK Blew away a lot of bowties and blue ovals in that car and got away from the THP once.

·
Administrator
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I recall, they were made by AVS ?? The people who make a bunch of window vents. I might have got them from J C Whitney; not sure as it was way back when! I had them in clear also in addition to the somewhat translucent black tinted pictured. 😋

By the way, the headlight covers were easily removed by pushing gently sideways. They came with 2 small stick on channels that attached along the sides of each cover. You could NOT drive at night with the dark covers on.
I do not have the tinted covers. Only the clear ones. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Maybe keep them around for a car show or something. I don't want to drive with them. I imagine they'd get pretty torn.

What a beauty! I had an 84 Laser XE Turbo that looked a lot like that. I had the same wheels too. Mine were 5 lug and not 4. Maybe because it was a Chrysler and not a Dodge? IDK Blew away a lot of bowties and blue ovals in that car and got away from the THP once.
Thanks. I can't wait to get it back on the road. I started it up and let it idle for a little bit. Another 2 months of winter, though.

The Laser was also 4 lug in 1984. But it’s a fairly easy swap to 5 lug.
I'm guessing there is a conversion kit/piece. I'll have to dig out the Ninja rims when I move the car out of the garage. I know they're not in as good of shape as the rims that are on it. We'll see.

·
Registered
212 Posts
do not have the tinted covers. Only the clear ones. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Maybe keep them around for a car show or something. I don't want to drive with them. I imagine they'd get pretty torn.
The ones I had were quite rigid. They were surrounded by a glued on rubber framing that helped to seal them in the light housing and kept them from vibrating. I always used them, once I got them as they helped keep the headlamps clean but mostly because I felt they helped aerodynamics. They might have gotten me 1/10th of a gallon better mileage, lol. It was the contrast that I liked the best, black against the bright red. I got many compliments on the car, as they made it stand out somewhat. You might not have noticed, but I also had hood pins on it. That was not done for racing, like most people thought, it was to detract from some damage to the hood from a damn deer that darted across in front of me at night! To each his own! 😁

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I wonder if it's because mine had the Kelsey Hayes brake system on it? And after 2 brain surgeries, I'm not ENTIRELY sure that it WAS 5 lug. Oh well, moot point now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts