Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reluctantly I'm asking about this. For about the last week or two we have been hearing a sound. The hubby says it's when he turns the wheel, I thought it was when he was stopping. You can hear it and feel it. It's not loud. The last car we had was a Chevy Cavalier and we heard the same sound only louder when the shocks and struts needed to be replaced, if that gives you an idea what the sound is like.

Two questions: what could be the problem and how costly can it be? We have NO money until at least August. if that.

A background on us, we're both bipolar and anything that monkey wrenches our lives is a HUGE deal. I'm scared of what it could be.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
Diagnosis first. If you can narrow down the location of the sound, then you have found the problem. Do you hear/feel it in the floor area or higher up? Which side?
Lower control arm bushings are a common problem. It isn't a dangerous or tire-wearing condition as the bushing rubber slips out of its metal shell but stops and rattles against the crossmember, usually over bumps. The front end alignment isn't really affected.
I'm not saying that this is definitely it and if you have doubts or concerns about handilng or safety and you can't diagnose/repair it yourself, then get it checked out promptly by a good shop technician.
The problematic rear control arm bushing is just to the right of arrowhead #20 here:

2010-11-21_020155_90c06ef3.gif

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
Good work. The bushing is just inches away from there and is likely the noise. Visually you may see the rear of the control arm resting on the crossmember and the mark it is leaving there from metal-to-metal contact.
You may want to do both sides at the same time when you can if the rubber bushing has slipped down on the left side as well.

522173_48_full.jpg

SANY0273.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
If this is in fact the problem and depending on how much rust there is, I would think about 1.5 hrs per side. Parts are about $30-$40. If they have to cut and replace sway bar links, that could be about another $20 in parts.
This flat rate time and price per hour will vary quite a bit between shops and locations. Some shops may want to replace the control arm assemblies and do an alignment instead of just the bushings.
Really I can't tell you an accurate dollar amount. Your best bet is to call 3 trusted shops for estimates and go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts