Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318 motor, does run, but it sputters when I get to 30 MPH. It acts like it is starving for fuel. I have replaced the fuel pump with no resolution, some one suggested replacing the fuel tank sending unit. I wanted to get some advice on if this would fix the problem or should I try something else before I drop the gas tank. Thanks

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What it probably needs is a carb rebuild. You can find kits online for the, they aren't exactly cheap if their for the stock carbs, but if you have a Holley or something similar like a lot of people put on, their really cheap and easy to find. Other than that, might need to turn the air/fuel mixture screws. Those are the simpliest solutions I can think of that could be the cause and solution to your issue.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Not the mixture screws. They have no effect above idle.

Yes, probably a carb rebuild is in order. The sending unit does not affect operation.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'd suggest that the tank is quite dirty, and blocking the sending unit intake sock. Tanks can be boiled out and sealed, or new tanks are around 230 bucks.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Have the control module tested at you closest Autozone. It may be breaking down. Of course, this is only a suggestion if it's still doing that after you rebuild the carb.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Start with the carb itself. If you pull the top off you may find a bunch of junk laying on the bottom of the fuel bowl and when you push the gas pedal the needles rise and that junk starts flowing towards the jet holes, let off the gas and the idle circuit works again. Many a carb has had this simple problem. Change the fuel filter when you do this. If, after pulling the fuel filter you can tap the gunk in it to come out and there are big pieces, it may be a sign of enough stuff in the gas tank to recommend pulling and cleaning it, determine its condition to figure out if cleaning it and resealing it is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
dana44 said:
Start with the carb itself. If you pull the top off you may find a bunch of junk laying on the bottom of the fuel bowl and when you push the gas pedal the needles rise and that junk starts flowing towards the jet holes, let off the gas and the idle circuit works again. Many a carb has had this simple problem. Change the fuel filter when you do this. If, after pulling the fuel filter you can tap the gunk in it to come out and there are big pieces, it may be a sign of enough stuff in the gas tank to recommend pulling and cleaning it, determine its condition to figure out if cleaning it and resealing it is needed.
Very sound advice. I assume he changed the fuel filter as a 1st step before coming here. When I rebuilt my 69 Dart ( 318) I put in new fuel lines, tank, filter but still had to get a rebuilt Holly from Summit before it ran the way it should. The old tank had a terrible amount of gunk in it that it had to be replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts