Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the paint code for the 1970 Challenger painted Plum Crazy?

We know that is the proper color but the previous owner removed the fender tag.

Thanks,
Bob O'Neill

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Should be C7. There will be a digit ahead of that which indicates the brand of paint, but 2nd and 3rd digits will be C7 - per paintscratch.com

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Nope. For instance, I think the P is for PPG.
My 1985 had a paint code of PR6. My 1992 had a code of PQE. It's not the year, it's the paint manufacturer.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I thought the first letter in the 3 digit paint code represented the year the color was introduced. E for '69, F for '70, etc.
Well, as far as I know, the years prior to '69 used one or two digits - the first being body color and second was style, type or stripes. Someone can confirm.
For the 1969 model year, the codes became 3-digits. Digit one was the (first) year of that particular color, digit two was the major body color base and digit three was the style or variance of the paint.
This carried on to mid-seventies for sure. The first digit for 1969 was E, for 1970 it was F, for 1971 it was G, for 1972 it was H, for 1973 it was J and for 1974 it was K.
My '74 Challenger was FE5, my other '74 was KG8 (deep sherwood M.) and my current '73 is JA5 (dark silver - came out for late-'72 models).

Oh, and just came to mind of another E-body I had. It was a '74 Rallye 318 car and the paint code was GE7 and called Russet Metallic. Yes, this code also came on some '71 models - hense the G-code, and was named Burgundy Metallic for that model year, and supposedly not available for 1972 or '73.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, as far as I know, the years prior to '69 used one or two digits - the first being body color and second was style, type or stripes. Someone can confirm.
For the 1969 model year, the codes became 3-digits. Digit one was the (first) year of that particular color, digit two was the major body color base and digit three was the style or variance of the paint.
This carried on to mid-seventies for sure. The first digit for 1969 was E, for 1970 it was F, for 1971 it was G, for 1972 it was H, for 1973 it was J and for 1974 it was K.
My '74 Challenger was FE5, my other '74 was KG8 (deep sherwood M.) and my current '73 is JA5 (dark silver - came out for late-'72 models).

Oh, and just came to mind of another E-body I had. It was a '74 Rallye 318 car and the paint code was GE7 and called Russet Metallic. Yes, this code also came on some '71 models - hense the G-code, and was named Burgundy Metallic for that model year, and supposedly not available for 1972 or '73.
I remember my 1968 Charger 383 4-speed car had a paint code of QQ1, but it has been a while and a can't find my picture of the fender tag :(

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts

That doesn't fit the color code schemes from that time period for the cars that were in my family. For instance, our 66 Plymouth had YY1 for Bronze Metallic. My grandmothers's 66 Newport had PP1 for Scorch Red.

Reactions: Volunteer

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
My 65 Monaco has a paint code 771.
As explained to me at local auto paint supply, first 7 = upper color (roof), second 7 = lower color (body). Don't recall what the 1 represents. Single color? The vinyl top and color are a separate # on tag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts