Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just obtained a low mileage '98 Grand Voyager. Do the tail & parking lights blink when the "unlock" feature is pressed on the key fob?

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. If it came with the owners manual, I believe that there are instructions to toggle the horn chirp or light flash on or off with a series of RKE button pushes and holding down of a button.
There may also be a program selection to unlock all doors on one push or drivers door on 1st push and the other doors on 2nd push.
If not, the DRB III can do it.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I checked the service manual for my 2000 Grand Voyager. The only feature mentioned with use of the remote keyless entry is that the horn chirp can be enabled or disabled when the remote is used to lock the vehicle doors. No mention is made of a way to program the vehicle exterior lamps in coordination and flash when the remote is used to either lock or unlock the vehicle.

If the panic alarm exists on the remote keyless, then pressing that button causes the horn to chirp and exterior lamps to flash in unison for 3 minutes or until the panic button is pressed again.

When unlocking the vehicle with the remote keyless, pressing the unlock button once unlocks the driver side door and activates the interior lamps. Pressing the unlock button again within 5 seconds causes the remaining doors and liftgate to unlock and activates the interior lamps.

Again these are instructions for a 2000 model and it is possible 1998 vehicle features could be slightly different. And as IC mentioned, there may be additional programming features that a dealership scan tool can perform which are undocumented.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just misunderstood the instruction from moparguy & IC. I believe the note from AllanC is similar but the Plymouth may have had less to offer in '98. I have 3 other Dodges (2008 & up) and they have the lights flash, as well as other RKE features. Thanks guys for all your comments and advice

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
chargerdad08 said:
I'm not sure I follow?
The specific feature items i outlined were an indication of the customer/user programming capability built in to the vehicle software control systems for that period in time. For the 3rd generation minivans (1996 - 2000) which I would expect to be the same (but no guarantee) you could reprogram and enable / disable the chirp when locking the doors.

I would agree that later model vehicles 2008 and up allow you to enable / disable the parking lights flash feature when the vehicle is remotely locked / unlocked. But this customer programming feature is not mentioned in documentation for a 2000 year minivan. That makes me think this capability was not offered 12 - 15 years ago.

In another example on the 2000 minivan the customer can enable / disable automatic door locking when the vehicle starts to move and attains a preset speed. To disable that feature on a 2008 Dodge Avenger, you have to enlist the usage of a dealership scan tool to alter this feature. No customer programmable enabling / disabling of this feature is allowed. Why not???? Chrysler knows better than the customer about when and how the vehicle door locks should be used????

Final thought is that over the years engineering has added features and removed customer programmable features on vehicles. You could take your 1998 minivan to a dealership service department and ask for the exterior lamps programmed to flash when the vehicle remote locks/unlocks the vehicle. Since this programming is available on newer vehicles the service advisor will probably say "it can be done" when in fact that capability is not present.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts