Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 Mini Van, 3.0 2WD
Long story short
About 3 weeks ago, cooling hoses start cracking and loosing fluid on highway.
I was adding first stuff that I could find in gas station, not knowing it has to be ATF+3. I must added 5 or 6 bottles until I had a chance to replace both hoses.
Few days ago, I noticed hard shifting from 3rd to 4th, above 45 MH, than two days ago, when I was backing up, whole transmission would shake. Yesterday morning, no reverse at all.
Now, when I shift to reverse I can hear it and engine is making that "clang" noise, but it just doesn't do anything; pressing gas paddle gives just that "zzzzzz" slipping noise.
Also, last several days I noticed some bubbles on dip stick, like small foam.
I took out two quarts of oil, using upper cooling hose, and add two bottles of Lucas Tran Fix.
Reverse is still engaging when is shift to it and if I am on level, car is slowly going back but pressing gas still gives me that "zzzzzz" sound, slipping noise.

Any opinions on this problem
or a new transmission is my only choice?
Thank you

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Three speed or four speed?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Either way, it is an internal hydraulic or mechanical issue that may require the transaxle coming out. The next step may be to drop the pan to try and to assess the damage.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Four speed.
Pan is going down today; I was waiting for gasket; local Auto Parts does not have it in stock, had to be ordered

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Forget the gasket. It's trashed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forget the gasket. It's trashed.
I kind of knew that, but didn't want to know that, lol
Anyway, since I need a car for my job, I'm still driving it.
Took out another 4 quarts of oil (black and burn) through cooling hose, and add new ATF+4.
I'll take another 4 quarts tomorrow and add this time 2 ATF+4 and 2 Lukas, hopping that transmission will last for another 4 weeks.
Than it's gonna be a time for junk yard; to bad, Voyager has been served me well for a time I had it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts