Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
New
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where should I start with this code? Gas cap? what are some of the other likely culprits? The valve itself maybe? It runs fine, blows down the road easily.
Its a 2003 with the 4.7 and 155,000 miles.
Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
20,121 Posts
Before changing the gas cap itself, check the hoses to and from the purge valve and charcoal canister. It only takes a small leak from one of the lines to set the code as it is gas fume pressure that makes the valve itself work, so no pressure or small leak that prevents it from functioning properly, the code gets set. If all the hoses are good, no cracks or loose fittings, then the gas cap sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
509 Posts
On my 2003 Durango, 5.9L, I received this code and found a cracked / split hose where it attaches to a metal nipple on the front of the throttle body base. Check all your hoses for cracks and splits. I also received the code a second time (much later) and it was the purge solenoid valve, located on the front driver-side fender (under the hood). It is very easy to change. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Me Too -- just had that happen on my newly purchased 2003 Durango. Hose was split where it attached to cannister.
They circumcised it, worked fine for a day, then that same hose split in the middle ---- replaced the whole hose.
Seems O.K. for now!

·
New
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I finally got it gone. I bought a gas cap, then the valve itself, only THEN did I check the hoses. Sure enough....the one that ran to the intake was cracked a bit....and also underneath at the can, there were a couple that were crappy. Got it through emissions today! Whew. Ive had poor experiences with emissions tests in the past!

·
Registered
130 Posts
After many computer resets with the major leak prompt, finally got the smoke test done.
The culprit was the evaporative purge solenoid itself!
Replaced it and now everything seems to be O.K.

·
Super Moderator
32,166 Posts
My wife had this code along with Check Engine light 3 weeks ago. The service guy at the dealer laughed and told me to drive it awhile longer before bringing it in. Two weeks later, two tankfuls later, and 400 miles it was still there. I was just about to bring it in when it went away by itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts