Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It means lateral alignment of the engine in its mounts, as measured by the axle lengths at certain points. Described in the article above.
Hi Bob, Thank you for this valuable information. I was reading,the first page of this procedure and this seems like an expensive time consuming process. What kind,of place can ai havw this done? Is the dealer the only place with the skills to do this? How much should it cost to have this done?

·
Super Moderator
32,142 Posts
It's no big deal at all. Put the vehicle up on ramps and measure the lengths on each side at the points indicated on the CV boots. If they are off more than about 1/8", you loosen the mounts and pry the engine slightly, tighten the mounts and measure again. I would bet that 99% of most garages aren't even aware that this should be done.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I will go to alignment shop right now and try and get them to do it. I had to replace the sway bar links again. When i just replaced them last November. I have had the tires balanced several times. I still have this low level vibration though that makes my hands fall asleep and very uncomfortable

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The shop refused to do ir. He said that a low level vibration has not anything to do with an alignment. He thinks that the procedure shoyld maybe be done if there has been frame damage. They also said unless the mounta,that were replaced were aftermarket and maybe not being quite right that there is no reason that the engine could be off centered. Because there is not an adjustment to how the mounts bolt on and hold then engine in place.

·
Super Moderator
21,476 Posts
I thought that we were after a 'popping' noise (from the steering rack)?
A 'shake' in the steering wheel would be something different.
To rule out the tires as the cause of the shake, a front to back tire rotation may change or eliminate the shake.
Tire balance may or may not fix a shake (you can balance an egg). It may be a tire with an internal shifted or broken belt issue? Any 'lumps' in the tire?
A shake would normally not be helped by a front end alignment.
The alignment that we were discussing was the motor mounts after a CV axle change that may or may not be needed. Also see:
Caravan popping noise - Automotive Service Professional

·
Super Moderator
32,142 Posts
The shop refused to do ir. He said that a low level vibration has not anything to do with an alignment. He thinks that the procedure shoyld maybe be done if there has been frame damage. They also said unless the mounta,that were replaced were aftermarket and maybe not being quite right that there is no reason that the engine could be off centered. Because there is not an adjustment to how the mounts bolt on and hold then engine in place.
It may not be the source of your problem, but he is mistaken about centering the engine - probably because he has no clue and doesn't want to admit it. There is enough play to move the engine slightly when the bolts are loosened. But investigate other causes, also.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I fixed the popping nouse by replacing the sway bar links but, they were replaced also last November. Since I had the alignmeny done last week and new cv axle and inner tie rods replaced in the last two weeks, at high speed I have this low level vibration that I did not have before. The tires are about 2 months old and have been balanced msny times. It does not look as though the wheels are bent. I will have tires rotated again to see if it
It may not be the source of your problem, but he is mistaken about centering the engine - probably because he has no clue and doesn't want to admit it. There is enough play to move the engine slightly when the bolts are loosened. But investigate other causes, also.
Thank you. I printed out the procedures and gave it to him. if i have to do it myself then I will. I will rotate tires first and rule out orhee posibilititea still

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just saw your comment,about wheel alignment shop not knowing about this. That is,why I had asked you earlier about what kind of shop.
I understand that dealer would know about this but, it takes so long,to go to dealer and they will not do it while you wait and plus they charge too much to do even the least little thing. Its ok, i will get it done somewhere. Thank you for all your help

·
Super Moderator
21,476 Posts
If this is a 'side-to-side' steering wheel 'wobble' that begins as soon as the vehicle starts moving, it may not be tires and is instead a defective inner axle joint. Maybe on the axle that was just replaced?
If the axle joint is articulated too far when handling or installing the axle, it can slip out of the housing and come apart. Being underneath the rubber boot, the tech won't see that this has happened.
Tire shake usually begins once the vehicle reaches a higher speed (25mph +) where imbalance or belt problems then make themselves felt.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Going back to your first post, it sure sounds to me like the wrong axle was installed. Don't you find it kind of strange that all of this crap has happened since that was done? Your mechanic should have never blown you off when you pointed out the difference in the replacement axles. Wrong parts sometimes get put in the wrong boxes. I'd almost bet you that the problem is that axle.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Going back to your first post, it sure sounds to me like the wrong axle was installed. Don't you find it kind of strange that all of this crap has happened since that was done? Your mechanic should have never blown you off when you pointed out the difference in the replacement axles. Wrong parts sometimes get put in the wrong boxes. I'd almost bet you that the problem is that axle.
I fixed it, it was the sway bar links. I put videos on youtube. I thought i updated this forum. I have another question. I had put in some of the Lucas Transmission slip a couple of months ago about a half of a bottle. Then last nigjt while looking at the back of the bottle i saw that it said not to use in a CVT transmission. So now i want to change the tranny fluud. Is there any kind of chemical i can use to flush it out first?

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Don't worry about the Lucas. You do NOT have a CVT transmission in your Caravan. If it's shifting good and operating to your satisfaction, then leave it alone. And congratulations on the fix. At least it was something relatively inexpensive!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Don't worry about the Lucas. You do NOT have a CVT transmission in your Caravan. If it's shifting good and operating to your satisfaction, then leave it alone. And congratulations on the fix. At least it was something relatively inexpensive!
Now, i have another problem. I just added antifreeze 2 weeks ago and just now when takeing passenger 30 miles out i get a check engine light and antifreeze low light so i stopped at nearest gas station and there is no anitifreeze in it so i added almost a gallon of bottled water because gas station does not sell the orange antireeze and when i get to autozone, and try to buy antifreeze they told me that the one i was getting was wrong. And the prestine dex cool says GM it does not say Chrysler but it is what i have always put in here and i bought this van from a dealer and it was maintained at the dealer, and they had the orange stuff in there too.

·
Super Moderator
37,457 Posts
You have to go by the label, not the color.
If it's lost antifreeze, you need to look for a leak. if none is visible, you may need a cooling system pressure test tool to find the leak.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You have to go by the label, not the color.
If it's lost antifreeze, you need to look for a leak. if none is visible, you may need a cooling system pressure test tool to find the leak.
Do you kniw specifically the right retail antifreeze to use i am out here where tgere are not many options.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,896 Posts
Now, i have another problem. I just added antifreeze 2 weeks ago and just now when takeing passenger 30 miles out i get a check engine light and antifreeze low light so i stopped at nearest gas station and there is no anitifreeze in it so i added almost a gallon of bottled water because gas station does not sell the orange antireeze and when i get to autozone, and try to buy antifreeze they told me that the one i was getting was wrong. And the prestine dex cool says GM it does not say Chrysler but it is what i have always put in here and i bought this van from a dealer and it was maintained at the dealer, and they had the orange stuff in there too.
Check your owner's manual but I believe you should be using Zerex G-05 (equivalent to OEM antifreeze) and not Dex-Cool. Dex-Cool is specifically for GM products, not Chrysler products. You can't go strictly by the color - READ the label.

You should inspect the cooling system for leaks if you are losing antifreeze. Could be as simple as a loose clamp.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,896 Posts
Do you kniw specifically the right retail antifreeze to use i am out here where tgere are not many options.
Can't speak for your area but the only retailer I've found that carries Zerex G-05 HOAT antifreeze is NAPA. Again - consult your owner's manual - I believe for your vehicle it is Zerex G-05 or equivalent.

I'd stay away from the "universal" fluids as they are usually based on Dex-Cool.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Check your owner's manual but I believe you should be using Zerex G-05 (equivalent to OEM antifreeze) and not Dex-Cool. Dex-Cool is specifically for GM products, not Chrysler products. You can't go strictly by the color - READ the label.

You should inspect the cooling system for leaks if you are losing antifreeze. Could be as simple as a loose clamp.

What kind of damage now will be the reslt of purting dex cool. I need to go home and flush it. But, last time i flushed it, it made strange noises. I thought you coukd open tge drain cock stick a warer hose in and run the engine to flush it. Is this not tge way to do it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Can't speak for your area but the only retailer I've found that carries Zerex G-05 HOAT antifreeze is NAPA. Again - consult your owner's manual - I believe for your vehicle it is Zerex G-05 or equivalent.

I'd stay away from the "universal" fluids as they are usually based on Dex-Cool.
I dont have an owners manual except on dvd which i cannot bery well look at until i get home

21 - 40 of 55 Posts