Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about converting my 47 Chrysler Windsor over from positive ground to negative ground. From what I've been reading, it doesn't take too much. Reverse the ammeter gauge wires, reverse the wires on the ignition coil, polarize the generator and your done. Oh yeah, reverse the battery.
There is no modern accessories in the car now and changing would solve that. It would be nice to have a radio even if it is with a 12 to 6 volt converter. (Keeping the car 6 volts)
I just wanted to run it by the more experienced people on here to see if I'm overlooking anything.
Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
You must have a negative ground voltage regulator. Also, watch to make sure that you have correct amp rating on the regulator.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Won't reversing the polarity also affect the temp and fuel gauges making them go negative off-scale?
Is the oil gauge electric or a pressure line.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
...and it'll improve the efficiency of the warp drive, allowing you to reach warp 9.8!

Sorry, I'm apparently in a snarky mood today...

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Ok I agree, a thermal gauge movement wouldn't be affected by polarity, but a magnetic one would.
It has been a while since I worked on 'capillary tube and sensing bulb'-type gauges.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
Ok I agree, a thermal gauge movement wouldn't be affected by polarity, but a magnetic one would.
It has been a while since I worked on 'capillary tube and sensing bulb'-type gauges.
Me too. By the mid fifty's the gauges had changed. No more tubes to kink or oil lines to break under the dash. At least the electrical senders only leaked onto the engine/floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts