Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a little bit of an issue with the stereo in my Dart.

There is a very faint background noise coming through my speakers. It's a very, very faint clicking noise. I know its the stereo because it gets louder/softer with the volume. It's so faint that you can only hear it when there is no actual audio being played (i.e. the second or two in between songs).

I haven't nailed it down to a particular audio source, but it definitely happens over Bluetooth audio from my iPhone and through the USB port from my iPhone. I'm fairly certain that I've heard it on both FM and Sirius as well but its even harder to tell since there is almost no dead air.

So far its been happening with the engine running, I'm going to check after work if it happens with the engine off. I'm also going to pay closer attention to other audio sources to see if they are affected or if its just the iPhone.

Anyone seeing (or hearing) this issue at all? I haven't reported this back to the dealer yet because I want to be as specific as possible when I eventually do; not to mention I've been hoping it would just go away.

So far this is really my only complaint with the car.

UPDATE: Okay it's definitely just over Bluetooth and USB, with my iPhone. I'm going to dig out the old iPod and see if it happens with that. Additionally it happens just while the car is running. Once I shut it off and the stereo stays on, the clicking noise stops. I have a decent recording of it, just have to figure out how to share it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have not had any issues with my Alpine system, it's quite simply, awesome. I stream using bluetooth with a droid incredible btw. I have not tried the USB or SD options yet though.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Typically the source of such noise is either the ignition or the alternator. Capacitors and braided ground straps have been used for decades to snub the noise successfully. Perhaps adding a cap in the right location will do the trick.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the noise started showing up on Sirius now so I think I'll be contacting the dealer this week. This should be interesting...

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's what you need to do. My Dart has the same system and never any noise. Just good clean sound even with the SD reader. I use a Droid phone with the Bluetooth and have no noise. Just that my satelite radio and navigation system lost signal but dealer fixed that. Was a loose wire. Have had to return to the dealer three or four times for other issues also and I just bought the car a month ago, that stinks. It's been at the dealer for a week now but will get it back in a couple of days. MAP sensor went out twice, towed in both times at no cost to me, issues fixed (fingers crossed) , I love my Dart Limited other wise. Really comfy ride for a small car, great handling, great mileage. Issues so far are minor. Just sucks the first new car I bought in over 30 years is less dependable than the 2000 Impala I traded. I was told I was the first in the region to buy the new Dart so I joked about being the first to expierence problems. I guess I jinxed it. But all in all, the problems being minor ones, I can hardly wait to get my Dart back. It's a joy to drive.
And I'll add, trust your dealer. First time I had to be towed was to the dealer I bought my Dart from. They fixed the MAP sensor the next day. Second time the MAP sensor died my dealer had it towed to another dealer (at no cost to me) twenty miles away because MY dealers mechanics as of then weren't certified to work ont the new Dart but the other one was.The other dealer found out what my dealer did wrong. Took them a few days but I understand, I didn't buy the Dart from them and they had other appointments to deal with first. So I was patient with them and they have been really good about explaining things, right down to why the first replacement sensor went out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also encountering this issue with my Dodge Dart Limited with the Alpine radio. So far I can hear this clicking noise when listening to Sirius, iPod, Bluetooth (both music and phone), and when playing a CD. Any ideas on what is causing this? I have not taken this to the dealer yet as I am trying to figure out the best way to describe this problem to hopefully save the technicians some time identifying the source of this problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also encountering this issue with my Dodge Dart Limited with the Alpine radio. So far I can hear this clicking noise when listening to Sirius, iPod, Bluetooth (both music and phone), and when playing a CD. Any ideas on what is causing this? I have not taken this to the dealer yet as I am trying to figure out the best way to describe this problem to hopefully save the technicians some time identifying the source of this problem.
I have not taken mine in either. However, I have found the best way to demonstrate is to play a song on the iPod, crank the volume and then pause it. The clicking noise remains.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get yours looked at by the dealer yet?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
What's the MDH on your cars that are affected...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, my 2013 Journey with the 8.4n is satrting to have that "clicking" sound through the right side speakers and only when the engine is running. I thought it was just me but at my first oil change I have a few things for them to sort out, nothing major thankfully!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SuperShadow said:
Sorry to thread jack, my 2013 Journey with the 8.4n is satrting to have that "clicking" sound through the right side speakers and only when the engine is running. I thought it was just me but at my first oil change I have a few things for them to sort out, nothing major thankfully!!
I will finally be taking my Dart in on Monday to have it looked at. Just have been crazy busy the past few months.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just got back from getting the runaround at the dealer. They basically said they couldn't find anything that would cause that noise but acknowledged the noise was there. They also said there were no technical bulletins on the subject in the database. They went on to say that it was probably normal and because I have the treble set to maximum on the equalizer. I'm not really buying that...at all.

Since I didn't have time to stick around and argue with them about how it's supposed to function, I'm going to email my salesman and see if he's got any Darts on the lot with the same configuration and maybe test it out on one of those.

I just can't see how that qualifies as "normal" behavior. Anyone have any suggestions? I know it's kind of nitpicky, but I paid extra and waited longer for this configuration and I'm not totally satisfied with the outcome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
pjfsu331 said:
Well I just got back from getting the runaround at the dealer. They basically said they couldn't find anything that would cause that noise but acknowledged the noise was there. They also said there were no technical bulletins on the subject in the database. They went on to say that it was probably normal and because I have the treble set to maximum on the equalizer. I'm not really buying that...at all.

Since I didn't have time to stick around and argue with them about how it's supposed to function, I'm going to email my salesman and see if he's got any Darts on the lot with the same configuration and maybe test it out on one of those.

I just can't see how that qualifies as "normal" behavior. Anyone have any suggestions? I know it's kind of nitpicky, but I paid extra and waited longer for this configuration and I'm not totally satisfied with the outcome.
Well if you're going to try and pinpoint the issue you would be on the right track in wanting to test other vehicles to see if it can be duplicated. I would also reset everything to default on the EQ and see if it still persists. It would be interesting to know if elevated treble is enhancing an issue the rest of us can't hear. Do you hear the noise out of all speakers? I have my bass slightly elevated but left both the treble and mid alone on my alpine setup. I think the speaker balance is slightly forward in my setup too.

Other things I would try is pairing a different phone to see if that would make a differece or possibly try the SD card option if nothing else, just to rule it out. You're kind of between a rock and a hard place unless you can get someone with system designer level knowledge of the vehicle to look at it and unfortunately you're not going to find that skill level at the dealerships yet, the car is just too new.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MinnesotaKid said:
Well if you're going to try and pinpoint the issue you would be on the right track in wanting to test other vehicles to see if it can be duplicated. I would also reset everything to default on the EQ and see if it still persists. It would be interesting to know if elevated treble is enhancing an issue the rest of us can't hear. Do you hear the noise out of all speakers? I have my bass slightly elevated but left both the treble and mid alone on my alpine setup. I think the speaker balance is slightly forward in my setup too.

Other things I would try is pairing a different phone to see if that would make a differece or possibly try the SD card option if nothing else, just to rule it out. You're kind of between a rock and a hard place unless you can get someone with system designer level knowledge of the vehicle to look at it and unfortunately you're not going to find that skill level at the dealerships yet, the car is just too new.
The noise is showing up through all inputs now so a device issue can probably be ruled out. It's even there when making calls via bluetooth.

If you're feeling bored one day, you could give it a try on your Dart as we have the same setup. The procedure I've been following to duplicate the issue is as follows:

1. Start car
2. With treble all the way up, turn the volume up to 20 or 21 and then pause the music.
3. If the noise is there, shut off the ignition and see if it stops.

The inputs I use the most are USB and Bluetooth. It's hard to duplicate the issue with radio of any kind because you need a good portion of silence to hear it.

Again, I'll admit I'm being pretty picky here but we audiophiles who pay extra for a nicer system expect nicer quality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
pjfsu331 said:
The noise is showing up through all inputs now so a device issue can probably be ruled out. It's even there when making calls via bluetooth.

If you're feeling bored one day, you could give it a try on your Dart as we have the same setup. The procedure I've been following to duplicate the issue is as follows:

1. Start car
2. With treble all the way up, turn the volume up to 20 or 21 and then pause the music.
3. If the noise is there, shut off the ignition and see if it stops.

The inputs I use the most are USB and Bluetooth. It's hard to duplicate the issue with radio of any kind because you need a good portion of silence to hear it.

Again, I'll admit I'm being pretty picky here but we audiophiles who pay extra for a nicer system expect nicer quality.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens this weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
MinnesotaKid said:
I'll give it a shot and see what happens this weekend.
Sorry man, I did as you said and was unable to recreate your issue. when my mp3 is paused I hear nothing, regardless of the setting of the EQ. (I tried several combo's including treble maxed)
Sound level was set to 25.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts