Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short version: Mopar now recommends ATF for WJ hydraulic fan/power steering setup.

I apologize in advance for the long post. The radiator in my WJ went out, I have the hydraulic fan/power steering setup. Took it to my local shop along with a jug of Mopar coolant and a quart of Mopar MS-10838 Hydraulic Power Steering fluid. They ordered a radiator, installed it, drove it and it leaked from a fitting. They let me know they were ordering a second replacement radiator at which time I should have asked them to wait until I brought in more of the proper fluid. I did not. They put in the second radiator and I picked up the Jeep. It drove home fine but the next morning when I started it up it made a....WHIZZZ sound. I should have known something was wrong but I just drove it. Within a few days I noticed fluid under the Jeep. Got down, looked at it, got some on my fingers....yep that is ATF fluid. Look and see it is coming from the area of the power steering box. I researched the WJ Grand Cherokee before I bought mine and knew that Hydraulic Power Steering fluid, or an equivalent was needed and ATF would ruin the system. Called the Jeep dealer near me to see if they had coolant and correct P/S fluid. The parts guy was young and said they had the coolant but he had never heard of the specific fluid for P/S is was asking about, said he would call me back. Several hours later I went in to get the coolant and ask about the P/S fluid. He asked if I had called earlier, I said I had, he indicated he had asked 4 of the 5 techs and they had never heard of the WJ needing special fluid. Took it back to the shop this past Saturday along with a jug of Mopar Coolant and 2 bottles of Royal Purple Max EZ power steering fluid which is an equivalent to the MS-10838. On Monday the shop called letting me know the P/S pump had to be replaced. I told them they used the wrong fluid the guy said his manager would call me. Today the manager called me, stated he had used the recommended fluid. When I tried to discuss it with him he asked if I was telling him Mopar was wrong. I said yes. He said come get your Jeep. I asked for him to have his boss call me he said no. I contacted his boss anyway who said he would look into the matter. I forwarded him several internet sources indicating MS-10838 had to be used, then I called the Jeep dealer. Talked to parts guy and service manager, both said ATF has "superseded" MS-10838 and even if I had brought it into the dealership they would have used ATF.

I just want to share my story so that no one else goes to a shop or dealer who will put ATF in the P/S system. The shop I used stated they will put in the Royal Purple but will not warranty the new box since I am having them put in a non-approved fluid. They are taking 25% off the price of a new P/S pump which is nice because they did not have to do that. I am still upset but if this is the worst thing that happens to me today it is still a good day.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,709 Posts
I know that wrong P/S can destroy rubber o-rings, seals and cause leaks. The following TSB guidance still applies for WJ (1999-2004).
It was the WK (2005-up) that used MS-10838. The WJ still used MS-5931.

A discussion:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that wrong P/S can destroy rubber o-rings, seals and cause leaks. The following TSB guidance still applies for WJ (1999-2004).
It was the WK (2005-up) that used MS-10838. The WJ still used MS-5931.

A discussion:
Thanks for the reply!! I do not know much about how TSBs work. Would this still be valid or do new TSBs come out and replace any previous ones??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts