Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the choices in operating an aging vehicle is how much preventative maintenance to do.

Parts deteriorate or corrode - how much to dissassemble/replace?

I recently had a difficulty replacing the grommet in the rear valve cover of the 3.3L V-6 in my 1994 Caravan. It was leaking oil as it had hardened. Getting at it is diffculty due to the alternator bracket and other parts, it was too hard to just pop out as designed - couldn't even pull out the tube that goes into it.

I find material quality varies widely on this vehicle, some rubber materials surprising good, some metal materials like rear heater coolant lines and fuel tank retention strap clip-nuts surprisingly rusty.

You'd think that Chrylser would use better materials in recent decades, having learned in the 70s that neoprene is not good enough for engine seals.

Way back when I ran many Datsun 510s I did much PM, especially as Nissan's materials were not the equal of Detroit or even Toyota.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Nothing lasts forever. and the beancounters get the final say

When I replaced the rear shock absorbers on the 02 Ram. The bolts/nuts were so rusted together that I had to cut them off, they looked like something you'd find on a shipwreck at the bottom of the ocean.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While doing that awkward job, replace the hose from the grommet to the PCV valve, as it will harden which puts more stress on the poor quality elbow on the other side of the valve.

½” fuel hose appears to work, the grommet end is clamped onto a metal tube that goes into the grommet.

Heating the grommet with reasonable temperature air helps get get things back together.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, you may be able to avoid buying Chrysler's poor quality elbow at the PCV valve, if your long hose is somewhat curved as often the case just use a short piece instead of the elbow.

The other elbow is more difficult to substitute for as it is dual diameter (small tube runs off to TB area).

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Parts on 19 year old (1994 model year) vehicle are well beyond their designed life. Go back to when a 1970 model car was 19 years old and tell me things weren't improved by 1994.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Belts and hoses used to be recommended every couple of years. Even tires last far longer than they used to.
Materials are better, but heat, oil, gasoline, ozone, UV and salt water will age them more rapidly.
I remember my neighbor's new '70 Datsun 510 got its first front fender rust hole after 18 months in upstate NY.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 510 was a great car, but Nissan's materials were not the equal of GM's and Chryslers. Toyota's seemed better.​

Especially disappointing were the electrical materials on the 510. I used to re&re several circuits plus the aluminum rear brake cylinders, to prevent problems.​

The great Nissan bureacracy finally fixed the rear brakes, alternator diode pack, and the price of the front strut oil - just took them 15 years of claiming nothing could be done.​

1 - 7 of 7 Posts