Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 LeBaron Premium Convertible. Broken timing belt. Also some damage to right fender due to a recent catastrophic blowout. All new tires, top works, AC is upgraded but needs charging. With the timing belt issue plus a new job requiring more of my time, I've decided to sell the car. Given its issues and the fact that it would have to be towed, any ballpark suggestions for an asking price.

Steve H.
Fayetteville, GA

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I would say somewhere in the $1500-3000 region. That's about what I've been seeing for a good used car. Charging the A/C is fairly trivial to do, and may net you an extra couple hundred bucks, so I would try that. Personally, I would not pay more than about $2500 for any car in non-running condition. The timing belt is a bit tricky if you haven't done it before, and is extremely cramped if you have the 3.0. The real deciding factors for me would be rust, condition of paint and interior, and the extent of the damage on the fender. The more you get done, the more you'll get for it. If the car's a real gem, I would do the timing belt and the A/C over a weekend or two. That could easily net you a grand and will almost certainly attract more buyers.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
I would say its value is around $500-$1000 in its current condition. Although KBB doesn't value cars that old, I tried with a 1993 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible in fair condition at it values that around $875. The fact that it is summer, it's a convertible, and you live in the south, I would ask $1000 for the car and see if anyone makes you an offer.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The used car market really seems to have picked up lately, at least in my area. You'd be hard-pressed to find even a junkbox for $500, almost all of the fair condition cars are over 1k. The tires alone are in the neighborhood of 3-500 depending on the brand.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
It all really depends on your area. Just do some more research before hand before you get a low ball offer and decide to take it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
300 to 500 i actually paid 500 for a perfectly running 92 lebaron once. It had a ripped top and broken back window.

lebarons with nothing wrong with them and 100k miles "sell" for 2000 dollars. I say "sell" because they are on craigslist for months at a time with no buyers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts