Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i replaced the main and rod bearings on a 2.7 V6 out of a 06 charger after it spun the no. 2 and 3 rod bearings. I was able to replace the bearings without pulling the timing or dropping the crank...
My question to yall being; is there any special procedure to priming the engine with oil other than cranking it over by hand and am i required to use 5w-20 or is 5w-30 acceptable?

·
Super Moderator
37,275 Posts
The service manual only mentions lubricating the bearings before assembly and nothing about priming the engine.
5W-20 is the recommended oil.

The only mention of priming is if the oil pump is serviced, it must be filled with oil to prime it.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,117 Posts
Interesting. How did you repair the crank?

·
Super Moderator
21,401 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The bearings should be assembled lubed. You can use an engine assembly grease (not wheel bearing grease) or good motor oil. You don't want to put it together dry.
Fill the crankcase with the proper amount of a premium grade motor oil. The oil cap or owners manual will tell you what viscosity (5W-20), spec (MS-6395) and API certified oil to use.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-...ue/02_01_2008/3555Chrysler1pd_00000005691.pdf
Use the starter motor to crank the engine over with the spark plugs out and coils unplugged until the oil pressure warning light goes out. Then reassemble it for start-up.
If the engine really did spin the rod bearings, the connecting rods would be left unusable and the crank would probably require service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts