Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i just put a reman long block in our 2000 ram 1500. 5.9l and am having a no start problem. i have fuel and timing appears right on at least with piston 1 at top dead center, distributer rotor is pointing at #1 i am getting spark when i put a plug in the #1 wire and ground it out. any ideas would be helpfull.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,975 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Review all your connections to make sure that everything is plugged in securely. Make sure that no wires are pinched under anything.
Are both #1 intake and exhaust valves closed at TDC with the distributor rotor pointing to #1?
If you have spark, does a shot of gas in the intake make it 'sputter' like it is trying to start? You can have good fuel pressure, but if the injectors aren't opening then you basically have no gas.
Are the spark plug tips wet or dry?
Is this long block the same year as the truck? There was a SBEC III to NGC (next generation controller) electrical architecture change that was phased in in the early-'00's that had different cam/crank tone wheel profiles that would not be compatible with older systems. I think it came with the switch from BR to DR Ram 1500's in 2002?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel is getting through to the spark plugs as they are wet and smell of gas, the long block consisted of reman block, reman heads and cam and lifters etc all installed and i had to swap over the intake and valve covers and flex plate distributor and distributer drive gear for the oil pump, that being said i also replaced the crank sensor, pick up sensor in the distributor and new coil new plugs , wires, cap and rotor, i will have to check on the valves. also of note i have about 50 psi of fuel pressure and 45 psi of oil pressure according to the dash guage upon cranking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts