Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im foreigner so forgive me my language. I have a problem with my PT 2,0 '01. When i'm shifting gear up, the engine speed (I don't know exactly how to call it, I mean rpm - turns/minute) rises. It looks like this: I ride on first gear, rpm 2500/min, I release acceleration pedal, and when I press the clutch to shift gear on second, rpm rises to 3000/min for a while, than if I wait with clutch pressed, it comes down. It happens on every gear (except fifth and rear :) ), but only if shifting up, and only when the engine is hot, when it's cold everything is allright. Friends told me that could be fault of PCV valve, but I replaced it and no result.
Did someone have problem like this? Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
It should do this just a little, the computer causes this to happen so that it won't stall. But 3000 RPM would be too much. Does it happen when you stop and idle?

This could be a vacuum leak - a split in a hose or the throttle body gasket leaking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, when idle RPM is about 800, byt if I even gently touch acceleration pedal it's increasing fast to 1300, and comes down slowly. Too slowly, I think. I've checked fault codes, there aren't any except P 1684, but it's because the battery was disconected not long ago.
Thanks for suggestion, I try to find any vacuum leaks.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Or a sticking IAC? This may not set a fault code. The throttle body blade/bore/passages should be free clean and of carbon build-up.
At an idle if you unplug the IAC (this will turn on the 'ck eng' light and set a fault code that can be erased later), see if it still exhibits the same racing idle when bumping the throttle. Wiring harness and connection issues may also cause IAC problems.
The TPS potentiometer signal voltage must also track throttle opening/closing smoothly and evenly.
An OBD II scan tool sensor values screen may display a reason why the RPM's are hanging on longer than they should.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IAC? Is it the idle control engine/valve? I've tried to unplug it (It sets fault code P 0123), but it didn't help. I also check the hose placed on PCV valve - it seems to be ok.
I have possibility to change parts between my and other engine, but the other one is taken off from the car and I'm not sure if everything is in order with it. Besides, I don't know which parts could be responsible for this strange problem.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
It does sound vacuum (leak) or throttle body related. If you pinch off the power brake booster vacuum hose with blunt pliers, does it affect the return to idle at all?
Is it the correct PCM part number for the car (there should be a label underneath)? Have you owned it since new and did this revving problem happen all of a sudden?
Did this problem happen after any kind of service or part change?
Is there any binding or sticking in the throttle return linkage at all and does the throttle blade snap shut when released?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the problem is fixed :thumbsup: . There was a vacuum leak in the intake manifold (or collector, I don't know exactly how to call it). The throttle is fasten by two screws to the engine, under one of them is also some kind of metal plug with gasket in the intake manifold, and there was a leak.
So thank You very much for help :) .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I replaced the intake manifold (I had one from the other engine), and when problem disappeared I started to looking for leak.
By the way: when I dismantled intake manifold, I plugged these four throats, which lead air mixed with fuel to the engine. I did it to prevent any small things like screws fall into the engine, and I stuck crushed pages of newspaper there. I forgot to take them out later, and one of these was sucked inside, when I started up the engine. I thing it's already burned and excreted by exhaust, but could it make any seriously damages in engine? So far the engine seems to be healthy, there are no noises coming from cylinder head, and I didn't notice any distressing symptoms.
I know I should have been more careful, but now it's too late. I was lucky that it was only a newspaper, not a rag.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
If the paper passed through and burned, you should be OK. I think that any damage symptoms would have been immediately noticed. Ash may further be burned at the catalytic converter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts