Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan and I've had problems with the transmission since the first week I've had it. It's now 5 years later and probably 15 visits to my Chrysler dealership trying to get this fixed.

Symptom: When the weather is warm, the tranmission will often hang-up and not shift from 3rd to 4th gear (at least I think these are the gears). I'll accelerate to 40-45 and the RPMs will red-line and if I continue to push it the transmission will go into limp mode. I can often get it to shift by letting off the gas and it will lurch harshly into the next gear. The hotter it is outside the worse this problem becomes. It's also gotten progressively worse over the years to the point now where it regularly goes into limp mode. This summer the lurching and clunking of the transmission has become much more pronounced as well.

Results: Chrysler has replaced the speed sensor twice as this is the only 'code' they every get. They have 'flashed' the transmission firmware and flushed the transmission and changed the filter. They just keep telling me that without a 'code' they don't think anything is wrong. I can replicate the problem and they'll just want to flash the firmware again.

I have the 7 year/70,000 power-train warranty so I want Chrysler to find the problem and fix it. My vehicle only has 42,000 miles on it.

Any advice on getting this fixed?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Not everything will leave behind a fault code (life would be too easy if it did). The TCM just faults what it sees.
Certainly documentation is on your side, even if nothing is found it is important that a repair order is written each and every time with the date, mileage and customer concern. Unfortunately, you are on the hook for a diagnostic charge unless something that can be covered is found. As a goodwill gesture if you have paid diagnostic charges in the past, the service manager may waive the diagnostic charge. It never hurts to ask. Bring all your documents with you. You may want to involve the service manager as a service desk advisor has limited pull.
Intermittent problems are the worst for both customers and dealers. As a suggestion, you may ask that they install the data recording device known as the 'co-pilot' and let you take the vehicle for a spell until the problem occurs.
The TCM also has an Event Viewer, but that may be limited in its scope.
Once a transaxle enters limp-in it will not upshift, but stay in second gear until a key-cycle for soft failures and until the problem is fixed for hard failures.
An engine power loss can also make things feel like a transmission problem when it isn't.
By pressing the button on the co-pilot, it will record dealer selected engine and transaxle sensor voltages, speeds, temperatures, pressures and actuators actions for the previous 90 seconds. It can hold up to 3 separate recordings so if you don't get a good one at first, you still can record 2 more.
Back at the shop, the co-pilot can be downloaded into the MDS and even sent to Chrysler STAR for examination and their thoughts as to the root cause.
If the only clue has been a transaxle speed sensor, maybe this will go farther and deeper into why this is happening.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
You may want to check and see if you qualify for the "lemon law" if you can document you have had this same problem since new. At this point I would ask for a new transmission or check on the lemon law remedy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts