Allpar Forums banner

101 - 120 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
The value of Tesla is greater than Ford and GM together. Why not make Chrysler the new Tesla with a more beautiful design (not difficult to do) and with more affordable prices. Peugot already has the technology to do it. Even better all new Chrysler cars/SUV should be a PHEV to eliminate the fear of dry battery. We already have the PHEV Pacifica already has a PHEV, the Compass and the Renegate exist also in a phev version and you can do a Portal like these 2 + all a few peugot could re rebadged...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The value of Tesla is greater than Ford and GM together. Why not make Chrysler the new Tesla with a more beautiful design (not difficult to do) and with more affordable prices. Peugot already has the technology to do it. Even better all new Chrysler cars/SUV should be a PHEV to eliminate the fear of dry battery. We already have the PHEV Pacifica already has a PHEV, the Compass and the Renegate exist also in a phev version and you can do a Portal like these 2 + all a few peugot could re rebadged...
Well as soon as you make is phev it is no longer a tesla competitor for one, another big issue is chrysler and psa still need a ton of help in the battery department. As it stands right now VW is the first mainstream automaker going "all in" for an affordable ev. As it stands now Tesla will be king for ev for the time being in most price brackets that not even most automakers could beat in price and milage

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
And it has yet to be proven that VW can out-Tesla Tesla. At least when it comes to battery technology...

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
Wait a minute.. This is for real? What happened to the recently trademarked Hornet CUV thing? The midsize sedan, the Viper successor..? Where is everything the insiders have been saying the past few years? Is it all dead?
Quietly shelved. We got told a lot of stuff is "coming". Always two years out only to never materialize yet there's always new Jeep mules being spotted. I think Allpar has been speculating about a rwd D sedan for Dodge for the last 10 years. We are now at the point where these brands would require a severe intervention to be saved from oblivion but there's no evidence of any will from anyone at FCA to do so. Sergio set this path in motion.

The few of us who started pointing out these gaping holes in the Dodge and Chrysler lineups were told we were crazy. Several people with insider knowledge told us there was definitely product coming. We just had to wait. After the factory shuffle. After the debt was paid off. After this next Jeep was launched. Etc, etc. Here we are going into 2021 and none of it has materialized. No testing vehicles on the roads. No pending product announcements. Oh and the new Charger/Challenger has been pushed back again. Spoiler alert: they're not coming.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
Even if Grand Caravan is not necessary for Dodge, it’s volume is necessary for Windsor’s profitably. Pacifica hasn’t lived up to expectations, Voyager doesn’t look like it will make up the difference, and the long promised (first Dodge then Chrysler) CUV hasn’t materialized.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
I agree. They should kill Chrysler and make Dodge a niche sport brand then.
So following their current strategy, then. They should also remove brands from underperforming markets like Fiat and Alfa in North America.

And they need to FULLY commit to Dodge as a performance brand. This means more product, not just performance packages on well worn designs.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
2020 year to date figures show Alfa as FCA US's most resilient brand at -18% against an overall US market drop of -22%.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So following their current strategy, then. They should also remove brands from underperforming markets like Fiat and Alfa in North America.

And they need to FULLY commit to Dodge as a performance brand. This means more product, not just performance packages on well worn designs.
Yes, they should. I think having Fiat in the US is completely pointless. And they seem to have changed the strategy of Alfa (again) to focus more on the european market, having shifted some of their future products to Maserati (the MC20).
I seriously doubt that the NAFTA market would've been as profitable with more investment in Dodge and Chrysler. Ford is also discontinuing their car rang and focusing solely on SUVs and the Mustang in the US. GM is the same.
Dodge can survive as a sporty brand. Chrysler? Maybe as the brand that provides people moving cars for mobility based services and rental fleets.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Calling Alfa FCA's most resilient brand in 2020 a bit of a stretch, after sales have been falling for a few years now.
No stretch at all. In the current very hard trading conditions, out of all the brands sold by FCA in the USA, Alfa lost a smaller share of sales than the others did. Holding up better when times are bad is pretty much the definition of "resilience".

I never said Alfa was growing in absolute numbers, although relative to the wider marketplace it actually did increase its share of what was a smaller pie. (Incidentally, so did Ram and Jeep, just not as much as Alfa in percentage terms)

·
Registered
135 Posts
For all practical purposes Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram are one brand and have a full line of vehicles in classes that sell, SUV’s and pick ups and they were making money pre-corona. For better or worse all the Detroit 3 have mostly abandoned traditional cars. Part of why Pacifica has not met expectations In volume sales other then it competes in a shrinking segment, part is that they did continue to sell Grand Caravans to mostly fleets and a few value seeking customers. Most Pacificas are sold as personal family transportation, now CDJR has the Chrysler Voyager to replace the Grand Caravan and maybe even the Journey. I like the fact Dodge only sells performance image cars and SUV’s, those that still want an affordable full size sedan Or midsize sporty coup can get an SXT or GT with most of the looks and image of the more expensive Hemi models, nothing wrong with that. Yes it would be nice to have something new, but CDJR are making money, making products just to fill out the lineup does no one any good if they lose money. I think both Dodge and Chrysler will and should survive, Dodge as the sporty brand and Chrysler as the profitable people mover brand that does not fit the Dodge Jeep and Ram brand images. Let’s face it Jeep and Ram are the full line mainstream Big Money making brands for the foreseeable future. With the looming merger maybe we will see a PSA car and or CUV rebranded as a Chrysler for North America.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
No stretch at all. In the current very hard trading conditions, out of all the brands sold by FCA in the USA, Alfa lost a smaller share of sales than the others did. Holding up better when times are bad is pretty much the definition of "resilience".

I never said Alfa was growing in absolute numbers, although relative to the wider marketplace it actually did increase its share of what was a smaller pie. (Incidentally, so did Ram and Jeep, just not as much as Alfa in percentage terms)
One can spin Alfa in any direction, but it's not a success here at all. Headed the same direction as Fiat.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I'm not spinning anything. I'm stating a fact that's clear from the published figures. Yes, Alfa doesn't sell very many cars. Yes, it sold fewer this year than last. This does not change what the sales numbers say about demand for its products: it is true that there aren't very many people willing to buy an Alfa compared to Dodge, but it is also plainly true that those Alfa buyers have not been discouraged from buying a new car in the same way that Dodge customers have.

I agree with you that FIAT is probably gone (unless they do a complete reboot with something like Centoventi), but Alfa is staying around.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Demand for their products has been on a downward trend for some time. So please do not try and make it sound as if Alfa is the lone bright spot in FCA'S sales for this year. It would be one thing if before this all hit that their sales were trending up, but they weren't. The money spent on Giorgio will finally be put to profitable use when the Grand Cherokee and it's three row variant debuts.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I think the past five years business plan can be subtitled: "The gifts that keep on giving." :) Not saying there is anything wrong with that but it does feel that way for a number of product lines.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Chrysler? Maybe as the brand that provides people moving cars for mobility based services and rental fleets.
That is Nissan's current strategy and they are circling the porcelain bowl. They have the EV Leaf Proletariat-Mobile and the rental fleet hacks. The Voyager works as a fleet ride, but before the Pacifica gets sent to the crusher, someone has to figure out where the market is going. Right now, back seating with video screens is the hot setup. The Chrysler 300 only succeeds as a rental because it has some prestige value. The rental companies make decent profits from those upgrade charges with the 300.

Just before the original "shelter in place", financial Covid-19 meltdown, Hetrz sold their seed corn in a desperate financial move. The rental fleet game is over for now, nobody knows if it is permanent or temporary. Our fleet was sidelined. We probably sold off too much, but we still have a lot of new unregistered vehicles to put back in service as business picks up. Someone in our company has gotten writers cramp registering new vehicles last week with months old build dates. I spent the 4th of July week-end placing new vehicles into service which still had their HVAC systems set on MAX heat-defrost, from when they were parked in literal cold storage. Half of them were Dodge Caravans, built well before the pandemic shut everything down, and all vehicles had less than 20 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Mr Tavares apparently likes to salvage brands, so we may yet see another attempt at getting Chrysler off of life support. It’ll be interesting to see one way or another.
And...every day that passes before the merger becomes final makes his work just that much harder.

I don't think it's hyperbole in the least to say that for Dodge, Chrysler, (and Lancia)...time is of the essence.

101 - 120 of 177 Posts