Allpar Forums banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
Or you go European and do Alfa-Maserati to focus on the luxury aspect. The Jeep idea would be crippling to current CDJR dealers as it's a huge chunk of volume and profit for the dealers. Hard to pull it out to award to Alfa dealers as an enticement.
Most Alfa dealerships are already paired with Maserati now I believe, as the early idea of Fiat/Alfa dealers failed to find enough volunteers (or victims).

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
They are already allowing standalone Jeep dealerships in some areas.
Which defeats the idea of the barren brands being OK because all the brands are under one roof.

Reactions: jimboy

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
You know what? I've become kind of bitter about new Jeep and Ram product because of the intentional starvation of the Dodge and Chrysler brands. And I don't really want to buy a Jeep. I think their styling is bland and they're over priced. Every single vehicle I've owned since I was 18 (I'm 41) has been a Mopar and FCA basically doesn't want me as a customer anymore. I don't want to have to go buy some other make but I might have to in the future because Dodge and Chrysler won't exist within I'd say about 5 years.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You know what? I've become kind of bitter about new Jeep and Ram product because of the intentional starvation of the Dodge and Chrysler brands. And I don't really want to buy a Jeep. I think their styling is bland and they're over priced. Every single vehicle I've owned since I was 18 (I'm 41) has been a Mopar and FCA basically doesn't want me as a customer anymore. I don't want to have to go buy some other make but I might have to in the future because Dodge and Chrysler won't exist within I'd say about 5 years.
My sentiments exactly. Not starvation though, Cannibalism is the correct word. Just like Chrysler and Dodge ate DeSoto and Plymouth, Ram and Jeep will consume Dodge and Chrysler if they are not halted.

·
Registered
121 Posts
At some point, Zoomers are going to be looked at CUV/SUVs as mommy-mobiles much like station wagons and minivans have gone, they are going be un-cool. FCA is going to need Chrysler or Dodge to deliver the new cool body style. FCA needs to have a full-line brand. Since Dodge seems to be a more viable brand, they should invest in the brand for the future of the NA market.

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts
It isn't just about RAM and Jeep unfortunately, the market trends have driven a lot of the investment. Cars have cratered as a % of the overall market, and outside of large cars and muscle cars, Chrysler and Dodge were never really major players a la Toyota or Honda. I strongly disagreed with abandoning the midsize segment given that globally it still made sense, FCA was investing in Giorgio, and the cars could share a lot of architecture with CUVs, but I understood not allocating capital to those vehicles (marketing, certification, launch, tooling, etc) when funds were so tight. Similarly, Ford and GM have canned their large cars, and even stalwarts such as the Accord have seen sales decline.

That being said, there is no reason that ALL of the CUVs needed to go to Jeep. The CUVs really dilute the Jeep brand (I miss Norm) in a manner that isn't necessary, and from a brand perspective Chrysler would have had the ability to price at the same level as Chrysler products always ran a premium to their Dodge counterpart. Chrysler should have gotten at least one, if not two CUVs. Dodge also should have gotten Giorgio based CUV already, and Journey being retired would be a non-event.

·
10,394 Posts
You need some conviction. And some luck to be betting on the right horse. Never know what fuel prices or administrations will do.
See, that’s where Marchionne went wrong; his job was not to bet. Successful managers don’t try to pick winners, they plan to methodically and deliberately diversify risk.

FCA’s business is becoming increasingly reliant on sales of Wranglers, Gladiators and Ram pickups for profits. That’s placing the entire enterprise at risk.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Chrysler should be a people's mover brand.

Dodge is a muscle brand.

Which platforms and product/class size and powertrain fits each brand?

I will offer one solution for Chrysler.
Small Wide based product, SUV. Around 4.65 meters in length. 2 row seats, optionally 3. Base engine 1.5 turbo P2 MHEV ~200 HP, optional 1.3 PHEV with rear e-axle (180 + 60) 240 HP.

And of course one for Dodge.
Giorgio based product, SUV. Around 2.9 meters wheelbase length with around 4.8 meters in total. Base engine 2.0 BSG/P0 MHEV with around 300 HP. Optionally 2.0 PHEV with around mid 300 to low 400 HP. SRT model with GME T6 P2 MHEV 520 HP engine.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Chrysler should be a people's mover brand.

Dodge is a muscle brand.

Which platforms and product/class size and powertrain fits each brand?

I will offer one solution for Chrysler.
Small Wide based product, SUV. Around 4.65 meters in length. 2 row seats, optionally 3. Base engine 1.5 turbo P2 MHEV ~200 HP, optional 1.3 PHEV with rear e-axle (180 + 60) 240 HP.

And of course one for Dodge.
Giorgio based product, SUV. Around 2.9 meters wheelbase length with around 4.8 meters in total. Base engine 2.0 BSG/P0 MHEV with around 300 HP. Optionally 2.0 PHEV with around mid 300 to low 400 HP. SRT model with GME T6 P2 MHEV 520 HP engine.
I love that idea. It seems that something like this was a plan at one time, but it apparently got axed, so I'm not holding my breath. Unless it says Ram or Jeep on the hood, it isn't worth their time, apparently.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dodge being an exclusive muscle brand is short-sighted. Being muscle cars only will limit sales and turn some people off the nitch brand. Dodge needs a full lineup with a sporty/muscle emphasis. It needs to be competing with Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Honda, and Hyundai. Fill out the brand with a version of the minivan, a midsize CUV and sedan, a small tall hatchback/CUV, and move the Fiat 124 to Dodge. Of course, update the Charger/Challenger and bring on the full-size Durango. BEV and PHEV need to be in the mix. The popularity of trucks/CUV/SUVs will wane at some point, and FCA will need a brand to pick up the slack. I truly believe this generation being raised on CUV/SUVs as family vehicles will look at them as mommy-mobiles and avoid them. Dodge needs to maintain a presence in each segment.

Unfortunately, I feel Chrysler is a lost cause at this point, and has been for a while.

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
Here's a link to an article about the future of Dodge. What bothers me about it is his non committal about any future vehicles. He could at least say something is coming.
Link Is There a Future for the Dodge Car Brand at FCA-PSA? (at https://www.motortrend.com/news/dodge-future-fca-psa/ )
Yeah... That's a little bit concerning.

"At some point, something will have to change, there's no question," Kuniskis confessed. "I'm not going quietly into that new reality. The requirements get more stringent every single year and, at some point, we gotta do something." Still, the brand's head wouldn't share if a next-generation Charger or Challenger, both of which currently ride on a platform that dates back to 2005, are in the works. Nor would Kuniskis elaborate when asked if there are additional future models planned for Dodge.

Nevertheless, the brand will—in time—embrace electrification and the performance potential that electric motors can provide. Dodge does not need to fully shift to battery electric vehicles, Kuniskis said, as gasoline-electric hybrids provide the torque, power, and visceral driving experience befitting the brand's DNA. Good thing, too, because clearly, Dodge is relying on that high-octane DNA to justify its existence.

·
2,387 Posts
Here's a link to an article about the future of Dodge. What bothers me about it is his non committal about any future vehicles. He could at least say something is coming.
Link Is There a Future for the Dodge Car Brand at FCA-PSA? (at https://www.motortrend.com/news/dodge-future-fca-psa/ )
I was about to link that article as I just read it. Here's the most telling part:

Still, the brand's head wouldn't share if a next-generation Charger or Challenger, both of which currently ride on a platform that dates back to 2005, are in the works. Nor would Kuniskis elaborate when asked if there are additional future models planned for Dodge.
Didn't we already hear about a next gen Charger/Challenger? Wasn't there a projected release date that was pushed back? Now the head of Dodge brand won't even confirm that any future product even exists.

Dodge and Chrysler both are finished after the merger and once they've finished milking all they can out of the existing models.

I guarantee that if (big IF) a BoF next gen Durango materializes it will wear a Ram badge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was about to link that article as I just read it. Here's the most telling part:

Didn't we already hear about a next gen Charger/Challenger? Wasn't there a projected release date that was pushed back? Now the head of Dodge brand won't even confirm that any future product even exists.

Dodge and Chrysler both are finished after the merger and once they've finished milking all they can out of the existing models.

I guarantee that if (big IF) a BoF next gen Durango materializes it will wear a Ram badge.

Yes but what about previous articles recently about electrification and the brand? Not quite doom and gloom in those articles.

·
2,387 Posts
Yes but what about previous articles recently about electrification and the brand? Not quite doom and gloom in those articles.
There has been a lot of talk of future for the brand in the past. However if you read between the lines there's been a change. When you have mainstream publications like MT openly questioning the brand's future and then during a sit down the head of Dodge refused to answer any questions or even make a statement about any future product whatsoever that's a major red flag.

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
There has been a lot of talk of future for the brand in the past. However if you read between the lines there's been a change. When you have mainstream publications like MT openly questioning the brand's future and then during a sit down the head of Dodge refused to answer any questions or even make a statement about any future product whatsoever that's a major red flag.
He did say electrification would be used in the future. And Tavares said a while back that no brands would be cut in the merger.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts