Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Valued Member
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw video of ex VP of Engine Engineering Bob Lee talking about his 40 year career at Chrysler. One of the interesting things he mentioned was a proposal for a "Marine" version of the 5.7L Hemi back in 2006. It never went beyond the design stage because they found out Chevrolet had the market all sewed up. Bob is going to send me the whole presentation so I can see what changes they were planning to make to the engine.
Font Rectangle Terrestrial plant Magenta Urban design

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,276 Posts
Chrysler Marine was a storied division of the corporation. I piloted a Chrysler flathead-6 boat and remember hearing the bellow of the Chrysler big blocks at speed out on Long Island Sound.
Inboard V8 engines had some interesting differences, some spun CCW. Cooling, distributor and exhaust systems were unlike what cars had.
The popular 9.9 hp outboard was rated as such because anything greater than 10 hp got taxed.
Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Tank Self-propelled artillery Automotive design

What's better than an inboard V8? Two inboard V8s.
Font Parallel Pattern Diagram Circle

Water Azure Font Line Sky

· Registered
355 Posts
I remember a time from when I was a kid where a buddy and I rode bikes to a local marina and walked around looking at stuff. It was more of a working fisherman marina than a "nice boat" marina, Already a Mopar fan as a kid, I remember seeing a Gen 1 Hemi with Chrysler Marine embossed in the valve covers, thinking that was pretty cool.

· Registered
34 Posts
Marinization of car engines requires change of freeze plugs, exhaust manifold cooling and, particularly if salt water use, heat exchanger cooling to separate salt water from coolant in head and block. I have run car engined boats in salt water for years.

· Registered
102 Posts
I wish you could get a Hemi in a modern boat like a Cobalt, Crownline, Formula, or Chris Craft. That would get me interested.
My wife loves the new boats, and would love to have one, but none are available with Mopar power, so that's a big turn off for me...

JS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts