Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I'm off work and it's cool so decided to replace idler pulley and tensioner I bought in March, put it off and Phoenix summer came.

Wow I've been on this 2 hours and I was going to try my new battery powered ratchet I bought for first time, too big to fit between frame.

Got the pulley tensioner swapped but feels like I have belt stuck behind power steering pulley, taking a break and will try again soon.

They should have made these cars rear wheel drive, the car is already skinny, then the front of car getting smaller for that old fashioned styling really crowds any working room, worse than other front wheel drive cars.

It squeels on start up each cold start, will be nice to not do that anymore.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone, sorry for grouching about the car, finally got it and it still squeeked on start up, but maybe it needs to adjust.

I put new belts on it summer 2019 they have about 8000 miles.

Think that idler and pulley was original, this one I bought at Advance Auto, supposed to be the company that supplied Chrysler when new, starts with L and made in Canada.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,808 Posts
PT's are probably the worst to work on, but many modern vehicles have cramped engine spaces as well. The two Journey's I had (3.5L) were not exactly easy to service. The worst I had was a '93 Aerostar. Most of the work required getting it up on jack stands and working through the wheel well. Very little could be done easily from the hood opening. By comparison, the two Acclaims I had (2.5L) were a breeze.

·
Super Moderator
37,265 Posts
For aerodynamics and style, windshields became more steeply sloped. This either meant a decrease in passenger room or the windshield base moved forward over the engine compartment. That's the downside of the cab forward styling and aero to decrease wind resistance.

Then add the retro styling and PT is even worse.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have made it harder on myself, I did not jack up car just turned wheels to the right to reach in.

Thinking maybe if I jacked up car and removed passenger side wheel it could have been easier.

Also since June have only been working on my 1965 Chevy C10, playing around with ignition timing, replacing spark plugs etc, think maybe it has spoiled me, has SO much room to work even with the big block engine I swapped in years ago. Lol

Had been putting off doing the tensioner pulley on days off but when it's 110 or more it's miserable unless it's something you can do quick like the old truck, late at night when it was cooler at about 100 out.

Also while laying down there I noticed you can see the lower part of the water pump, others probably know this but I was mistaken thinking you cannot see it if you suspect it's leaking because timing cover in way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something still squeeks, I just assumed it was that part.

Replaced both belts when putting car back on road in 2019.

Seems to make the noises in winter and not summer, maybe the A/C compressor pulley, or alternator, I'm sure the back belt is tight enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts