Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Pt Cruiser Limited 2.0L 141HK 4-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen.
By a stroke of Luck, I found the post from earlier this month about idling issues :
2001 pt cruiser idle issue
Background Scenario :
The 1st week of January, the yellow 'motor warning'-light lit-up while driving in town which has a speed limit of 50km/hr.
I drive primarily only a few miles per trip about 5 times a week doing errands.
I took the car to my mechanic to take a look at the 'motor warning' problem and booked a time for him to 'check-out' the car before its yearly DMV-inspection and to change the oil & filter from Germany which I've been using since 2001.
After about a week, the light went out by itself and a couple days later my mechanic did the booked service, checking-out things done at yearly inspection.
The day after, I got the car inspected, with all things in order except the expected brake-pad that We knew was finished.
Long story short, a couple of days later, the 'motor warning' light lit-up when I cold-started the car in the morning and...the idle was most definitely off.
Kind'a like gasping for breath.
That was over 1 month ago.
Fast forward :
When I read the thread ^^ABOVE^^ I had already changed the # 4591611AA MOTOR-AIR IDLE SPEED sensor and cleaned the Throttle Body.
After reading the post I also replaced the # 04606197 Mopar Throttle Position Sensor also.
My mechanics have now for a total of 3 times, checking the 'computer data' , tried to get the light to switch off.
The idle is more or less ok when the car is NOT moving.
However, when...'rolling to a stop' the idle fluctuates for 2-3 seconds between 1,000-2,000 rpms.

Do You Guys have any suggestions?
I'm sure it's not a vacuum or a compression problem.
The butterfly valve is ok.
Considering the present 'idle problem' is now >>> the "'rolling to a stop' the idle fluctuates for 2-3 seconds between 1,000-2,000 rpms" and the warning light wont turn off.
My mechanics have reset the computer and nullified the 'warning light', but, when I re-start the car the 'warning light' goes on immediately.
Yeah.
It ain't easy gettin' old. Neither for me nor my PT-C.
She's got about 130,000 miles on her and the past 10 years I drive about 2,500 miles per year.
At our age, each and every day is a blessing.
Cheers Everyone.
p.s. Greetings to the Ladies as well.
This can be useful maybe :

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
What was the diagnostic code reported? I would not rule out the IAC (Idle Air Controller) as a suspect. If it is sticking it would be slow or erratic in responding at idle or when the throttle is lifted when slowing down.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Tjena, se till att få felkoden utläst så kommer du att få bra råd, forumet är väldigt kompetent och inte fullt av själv utnämnda experter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was the diagnostic code reported? I would not rule out the IAC (Idle Air Controller) as a suspect. If it is sticking it would be slow or erratic in responding at idle or when the throttle is lifted when slowing down.
Hi Gerry. The codes were P1684 and P601, which are the 'general alarm codes' where the battery being disconnected and a computer data problem as You know.
I haven't had any other code show-up when I do the ' 2X key turning test'.
My mechanics haven't said anything else shows up when they do their testing.
The IAC has been replaced but didn't help.

I saw some threads here where the PCV-value(1) was faulty and a wiring problem from the IAC(2)
2001 PT Idle Problems
PT Cruiser Revs

I'll check the PCV.
And air filter once again.
I'm gonna wait for any other suggestions which might do the trick.
So.
Anyone else(?)...Fire-Away!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tjena, se till att få felkoden utläst så kommer du att få bra råd, forumet är väldigt kompetent och inte fullt av själv utnämnda experter.
Hej Du. Kul att se Vi har sällskap här.
Jodå.
Jag älskar min Pärla. Gamla kärlek aldrig rostar. Däremot min PT-C gör det.
I'm an old s.o.b. from N.J. btw Everyone.
Rough Translation ^^above^^ -
"Hi. Nice to see we got company here.
Yeah.
I love my apple-of-my-eye. Old love never dies(rusts). Whereas my PT-C does.".
OK Everyone.
I'll wait and see what ImperialCrown has to say.
Cheers. "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

·
Super Moderator
21,505 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. This is a gasoline (petrol) engine? P0601 is an internal PCM controller failure. If it has been erased and has returned, it will likely need a replacement PCM.
This code can appear with or without other symptoms. See attached.
P1684 is a battery disconnect occurrence, or the PCM lost battery backup power within the past 40 or so key cycles. It should affect idle for too long, if at all as idle speed is a learned 'adaptive' value.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to Allpar. This is a gasoline (petrol) engine? P0601 is an internal PCM controller failure. If it has been erased and has returned, it will likely need a replacement PCM.
This code can appear with or without other symptoms. See attached.
P1684 is a battery disconnect occurrence, or the PCM lost battery backup power within the past 40 or so key cycles. It should affect idle for too long, if at all as idle speed is a learned 'adaptive' value.
Why Thank You Imperial C.
Yeah. it's good to be here, now when I really need some 'expert advice'.

1st I should say "Yes it's a gasoline engine".
So.
About 5-6 years ago, the local branch of the big Swedish auto sales & service chain called Hedins Bil told me they couldn't really service the car any more.
I've had a local 'whizz kid' who's about 35 yrs old and has had his own firm for about 10+ years takin' care of the car.
He actually told me that, after changing the 2 sensors and adjusting the throttle setting that....He thought is was probably the 'computer'/PCM.
So, You got that pretty quickly my friend. :)))

Personally, I've been thinking the 2 sensors and, the computer program-sequencing must...re-align, like any update for software.
The 1st time I've ever seen the engine warning light on was 2010.
I downloaded and saved, and have in front of me now the 5-page Chrysler PT Cruiser Computer Codes from www.ptcruizer.com/computer-codes.html
It says after "3 consecutive trips with no problems*, the engine lamp should shut-off.
!!! Just noticed it says in small letters on the last page, -Copyright 2000-2010 Allpar, LLC: all rights reserved- !!!
It looks like it's You Guys. 99% sure. Right?
:)))
So.
Since then(2010) I've seen this light go on about 1nce every 2-3 years when something aint workin' right.
And well, We fix the problem and the light goes out.
It's been kind'a like an 'idiosyncrasy' with this car, like a kid-tryin'-to-get-your-attention, wont leave you alone until you give your 100%-unadulterated attention.
Like I wrote, I'll change the air filter and then check the PCV-valve.
After that well, I've been thinking it could be another sensor which could be causing the problem.
But I'm no expert so, that's why I'm here to hear others advice on the best 'trouble shooting procedure'.
So.
Do You have any other suggestions before I start contemplating a PCM replacement.?
Now looking here : 2001 PT Cruiser PCM Powertrain Control Module at DuckDuckGo
Let me see what We got here in Europe/Sweden.
Cheers to All

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
There is one oddity with mopars of this era and that is that if they have a weak battery they will continue to start but the computer forgets its adopteded valueas and one of them is idle settings.
- so a non idle problem can be a weak battery.
Turning the key didnt work on my -04 pt gt, it needed a reader.

·
Super Moderator
21,505 Posts
You should have a label on the PCM with its part number, The PCM may have to be removed from the bulkhead to access the label. This will identify the PCM.

TSB # 18-020-04 addressed a rough idle condition for the 2.4L with manual transaxle. If you are able to find a PCM and yours has this drivetrain, you would want this software update installed:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is one oddity with mopars of this era and that is that if they have a weak battery they will continue to start but the computer forgets its adopteded valueas and one of them is idle settings.
- so a non idle problem can be a weak battery.
Turning the key didnt work on my -04 pt gt, it needed a reader.
Good Morning AC TC.
Yeah.
I'll check the battery. Good idea. It's not the 1st thing one thinks about but....I got a little story to report for those that come-by this link about batteries and 2001 PT-C.
So.
The 1st(original) battery held about 7 years. The 2nd battery held about 5 years. Since then the batteries hold for a maximum of 3 years with driving less than 3,500 miles a year.
I've been driving now about max. 2,500 miles/yr for the past 5-6 years and know the Alternator most likely is a contributing-cause to low-recharging.
Yeah.
I'll check its capacity.
BTW, I've been using a premium Varta battery with excellent start capacity, considering we can have -25C here during Winter.
Cheers....more coffee now :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should have a label on the PCM with its part number, The PCM may have to be removed from the bulkhead to access the label. This will identify the PCM.

TSB # 18-020-04 addressed a rough idle condition for the 2.4L with manual transaxle. If you are able to find a PCM and yours has this drivetrain, you would want this software update installed:

Thanks ImperialCrown.
I've a got a 2.0l manual 5-speed(I wrote 4-speed not thinking american but swedish way).
I've got ALL info up Here:
page 69 - http://pt.cruiser.repair/downloads/2001.Chrysler.PT.Cruiser.Parts.Catalog.pdf
Gonna ring now Hedins Bil in Uppsala now.
Cheers
ps. when I ordered the car in July 2000, only the 2.0l was available for us here in Europe. I finally got her in January 2001

1 - 11 of 11 Posts