Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked on Allpar, here on forums, Wikipedia, Edmunds, and Consumerguideauto. Can't seem to find this info anywhere...

In the rear cargo area
How much room is there between floor and ceiling?

with the back hatch closed, measured on the floor:
How much space between back door and back of back seats?
Back door and rear seats folded forward?
Back door to back of front seats, rear seats removed from vehicle?

I'm debating between a Caravan and a PT Crusier, interior room is a high priority. Just trying to research as much as I can before I step foot on a used car lot and have to deal with sales people...
Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i dont have measurements,but the front passenger seat folds down,and 8 foot lumber will fit.
rear seats are easily removed besides folding and flipping.
i own a caravan and a pt,caravan has more room,but the pt is suprisingly large inside,compared to a compact car.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
The Haverstraw Man said:
I never knew the rear seats are removeable. How do you take them out?
Step 1: fold seats flat, by pressing button at head rest. Step 2: make sure front seats are in up right position and at least mid adjustment going forward. Step 3: back seats have side handle that releases the back of the seat and allows it to flip forward. Step 4: You should see the handle on the seat back now pointing strait up. Handle like a suitcase. Now at the front attachment you will see a red lever to release the front of the seat. Operate that then pull strait up to get it out of it's hole/latch location. Step 5:remove from car.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
NssJ said:
I've looked on Allpar, here on forums, Wikipedia, Edmunds, and Consumerguideauto. Can't seem to find this info anywhere...

In the rear cargo area
How much room is there between floor and ceiling?

with the back hatch closed, measured on the floor:
How much space between back door and back of back seats?
Back door and rear seats folded forward?
Back door to back of front seats, rear seats removed from vehicle?

I'm debating between a Caravan and a PT Crusier, interior room is a high priority. Just trying to research as much as I can before I step foot on a used car lot and have to deal with sales people...
Thanks.
From flat floor to ceiling it's 42" (when seat is flipped forward). But to get something through the side door it's 39" tall. To get something through the back hatch it's 35-36" high. Back hatch is sort of hard to measure from the raised plastic bottom lip to the top of the door cut out that is farther forward by 6-8".

As for space between the back seat and the back hatch it's angled toward each other. Floor area is 30" to the back of the seat. Top shelf location shelf is 19"wide and it leaves a gap of .1" to the back hatch. Personally I fabricated another shelf with sides and made it 23" and keep that at the first step above the floor.
This allows me to have 3 levels of storage. I mostly keep the bottom layer for safety & handy equipment. Maps, unbrella, gloves, jumpers, light etc.. Next level is mostly shopping stuff that I want to hide. Top level is for over flow like 60lbs dog food. 2 ea. Each shelf can hold my body weight of 220lbs. My wood shelf does a better job than the stock shelf. The sides of the PT cruiser feel solid where the shelf connects to. Unlike the HHR my mom has. HHR I can push down with my hand and see the sides give in.
If I move the top self down and fold the seats flat, that gives me room all the way to the front seats. Fold the RH passenger seat flat and I can get a 2" x 4" x 8' board in the car. Put it at a slight angle then you can put something soft between it and the painted dash. I've gone to home depot and bought 8' items (wood & plumbing) and hauled them home.
Since the back hatch is round and there is more space from the bottom than the top.
Measuring from the top shelf aft edge/aft hatch to the seat folded forward 41" to rubber bumpers on the seat bottom. Note, seat still at an angle and floor level there is an additional 4".
Measuring from the top shelf aft edge to what I like to drive at, with the seat slightly leaned back, I'm 5' 11", it's 48" of cargo space with the back seats gone or folded flat. Put the seat up 90deg to match the door post, then it's 52".
Move the seat to the forward most position like if you were 4'10"' or shorter, then you have 60".
So the shorter the driver the more cargo space you can have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts