Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 PT Cruiser. Last week, my two year old battery died while sitting out in my work's parking lot. I didn't leave any lights on or anything. I tried jump starting, but it wouldn't budge. I ended up buying a brand new battery and it worked for a total of 3.5 days. My car is now dead again and won't jump start. I have no idea what the cause of this could be. All interior lights and functions still come on, but car won't start. Any help?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I’d say you have a bad ground. Or a short circuit somewhere. Undo the battery, check all grounds, clean them all up and make sure everything is tight. That’s my 2 cents

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2002 PT Cruiser. Last week, my two year old battery died while sitting out in my work's parking lot. I didn't leave any lights on or anything. I tried jump starting, but it wouldn't budge. I ended up buying a brand new battery and it worked for a total of 3.5 days. My car is now dead again and won't jump start. I have no idea what the cause of this could be. All interior lights and functions still come on, but car won't start. Also doesn't seem like it's cranking. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
So, clearly the two-year old battery wasn't bad. It had been discharged, just like its replacement. You have a parasitic current draw, or a bad alternator.
Are any warning lights on? Do you see erratic electrical behavior, indicating low voltage?
Charge the battery fully, and when done measure the battery voltage with engine off. Measure it again the next morning before starting. If it has fallen below 12.4 volts, either the alternator has a short circuit, or there is a current draw somewhere else.
When you get it started, measure the battery voltage with engine running. Should be 14.0 to 14.4 volts.
To track down a current draw, put an ammeter in series between the negative battery post and its clamp. Note the current draw. Start pulling fuses one by one until the current draw goes away. Then you have found the circuit with the problem. Find out what devices are on that fuse, and after installing the fuse, one by one unplug each device on that circuit til the current draw goes away. You have then found where the trouble is.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, clearly the two-year old battery wasn't bad. It had been discharged, just like its replacement. You have a parasitic current draw, or a bad alternator.
Are any warning lights on? Do you see erratic electrical behavior, indicating low voltage?
Charge the battery fully, and when done measure the battery voltage with engine off. Measure it again the next morning before starting. If it has fallen below 12.4 volts, either the alternator has a short circuit, or there is a current draw somewhere else.
When you get it started, measure the battery voltage with engine running. Should be 14.0 to 14.4 volts.
To track down a current draw, put an ammeter in series between the negative battery post and its clamp. Note the current draw. Start pulling fuses one by one until the current draw goes away. Then you have found the circuit with the problem. Find out what devices are on that fuse, and after installing the fuse, one by one unplug each device on that circuit til the current draw goes away. You have then found where the trouble is.
There are no warning lights or erratic electrical behavior.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a 2002 PT Cruiser. Last week, my two year old battery died while sitting out in my work's parking lot. I didn't leave any lights on or anything. I tried jump starting, but it wouldn't budge. I ended up buying a brand new battery and it worked for a total of 3.5 days. My car is now dead again and won't jump start. I have no idea what the cause of this could be. All interior lights and functions still come on, but car won't start. Also doesn't seem like it's cranking. Any help?
You've got 2 threads going, on the same topic:

PT Cruiser won't start (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/pt-cruiser-wont-start.227299/#post-1085213969 )

You should only have this thread, since it's in the PT Cruiser specific section of the forum ;)

As far as the drain on your battery, especially the new one, does your PT have driving lights?

The multi-function switch on the Gen1 Cruisers ('01-'05) are known to fail and the driving lights may be off, but the drain to the battery is still present, there are many threads on this subject.

To test this theory, remove the fuses for the driving lights. Get the battery fully charged and see if it stays charged, then you know the problem is most likely with the multi-function switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've got 2 threads going, on the same topic:

PT Cruiser won't start (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/pt-cruiser-wont-start.227299/#post-1085213969 )

You should only have this thread, since it's in the PT Cruiser specific section of the forum ;)

As far as the drain on your battery, especially the new one, does your PT have driving lights?

The multi-function switch on the Gen1 Cruisers ('01-'05) are known to fail and the driving lights may be off, but the drain to the battery is still present, there are many threads on this subject.

To test this theory, remove the fuses for the driving lights. Get the battery fully charged and see if it stays charged, then you know the problem is most likely with the multi-function switch.
I replaced the multifunction switch a couple years ago because my fog lights kept staying on :confused: would it go bad so soon?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I replaced the multifunction switch a couple years ago because my fog lights kept staying on :confused: would it go bad so soon?
What brand of switch did you install, OEM or after-market?

But again, you can test the theory by removing the driving light fuse, and see if the battery stays fully charged.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Reactions: Kat Blum

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
I'm in agreement with 06PTElectricBlue about the multi function switch. Lots of issues with those. You might try getting the battery charged and pulling the fuse for the fog lights and see what happens. I'm not sure, but THINK it's fuse #8 in the inside fuse box by your left leg.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue
1 - 15 of 15 Posts