Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Pt, 75K, was running great until alternator died. Mechanic said no sense replacing because engine cradle is completely rusted, as well as under carriage. Does anyone know if this sounds about right? Do I scrap, sell for parts???? Tia

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
My dad's 2002 PT in the Rochester, NY road salt did rust out the front crossmember (cradle), but the existing unibody structure of the rest of the car is still OK.
Sadly a 13+ year old car in salt-belt areas are still susceptible to rust-out. The cradle can be replaced if the rest of the car is still sound.
We did replace the fuel tank straps after one broke from rust-out.
Assess the rest of the car. If it is structurally unsafe in other areas or not worth putting over a thousand dollars into, look for a replacement vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that response. Since the under carriage is completely rusted then I imagine it's not salvageable. Just wondering if I should go to the trouble of selling for parts, or just scrap. Any advice?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Go to ptcruiserlinks.com and join us. Post where you're located and someone there may want to buy it or be able to give you more advice. It's dedicated to the the PT's.

Reactions: Joyce

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That cradle is for the suspension and steering. The engine is hung by those dog bone motor mounts. Very similar to the Neon.

And yes I agree have it checked by a shop that you trust. The cradle can be replaced depending on the condition of the rest of the underbody of the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts